Speaker question

A place for DIY project discussions.
floydfan

Speaker question

Unread post by floydfan »

Hi All

Hopefully a simple speaker question which I hope does not make me sound too thick. I have got a pair of Goodmans Dimension 8s and am listening to them with my NVA A30s while I wait for my new A80s. The speakers have very little bass oomph, could this be caused by using a small amp. The sound is accurate and involving in the mid and high ranges but simply lacking in bass. These are big speakers which I bought to give more bass than a pair of JPWs which are still waiting to be modified.

Have a good Christmas and happy listening in the New Year.

Daniel Quinn

Re: Speaker question

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Have you checked they are in phase . being wired out of phase can make the bass disappear .

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

No personal experience, but this might prove interesting...

http://www.listeninn.com/product/407001 ... imension-8
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

floydfan

Hi Slinger I have read this article but on looking again no mention of bass but it would seem that positioning may be important.

Daniel Didn't consider the phase but will check.

Cheers

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Interesting looking speaker, not heard of it before. Typically, what I'd guess to be the most important specification here, the sensitivity, isn't stated correctly, (4.4 watts?), so we've no idea how easy they are to drive. However, they are rated at 4 ohm so won't be the easiest load I guess. Having said all that I'd have thought a pair of A30's would do ok, could be, as Daniel says, that they are simply out of phase which might not be so easy to hear with the wide dispersion characteristics, with "normal" speakers you can hear it straight away.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Having used AP 30 and 40s I'd doubt they would be the cause of the problem. My A40s were a bit behind things like Krell and Bryston in terms of bass slam, but not massively. I once put a little AP20 in an all-Naim system in place of a NAP 250 and it was a bit lighter in the bass (but better everywhere else) although again not night and day.

I've not used your speakers though, nor have I had the pleasure of A80s. Then of course, we all hear differently, so it will be interesting to see what the A80s bring. The AP20 successfully drove Naim SBLs and the A30\A40s have driven Impulse horns, Audio Note Ks, Dynaco A25x, various Royds and my Spicas.

floydfan

The speakers sound quite different to what I am used to as you lose their position, as the speakers seem to disappear.
They sound better when sitting on the floor but I played " Obscured by Clouds" which usually rumbles and shakes the room but they seemed very "polite" and correct.
I am using a bit of a lash-up at the moment with mains cable for the speaker cable but I don't think this would affect the sound too much- may be wrong but I am waiting for The Doc to get back to get my LS3 cables.
I can't make head nor tail of the sensitivity reading of 4.4 Watts even after searching the web. Will check with the Doc before I rewire the speakers.

The phase seems ok although I did swop to leads around to make sure there wasn't a change in the wiring inside the speaker
I think I might like these speakers once they are fettled and positioned correctly but this may require some furniture moving.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

They certainly don't look like they should be bass shy .

try elevating them of the floor a little .

floydfan

An update - I decided to try cranking up the amp, while checking the temp., with some Scissor Sisters and the bass was much better and the HF remained in balance. They may just need the more powerful amp. My son, who noticed the sitting on the floor trick, suggested some blocks of wood under the speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Push 'em further back to the wall or corners.