Speaker question

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Speaker question

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The no x-over on the bass and protective capacitor/resistor on the tweeter was for me a revelation . It will not immediately blow you away and you may think it is a bit bright . But just listen , there is much more detail presented to you and it just sounds so much more musical and coherent.

It is also easily reversible .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

To connect the mids and tweeters in series you would have to recalculate the crossover as the speaker load is part of the equation. I really don't think you will have a problem. You have to understand how an amplifiers works with a load, virtually all the current demand on the amplifiers is from low frequencies. A moving coil when fed by low frequencies is laregly driven by current especially at 4ohms, at 16 ohms it shifts far more to voltage drive. Also the load gets progressively changed to voltage drive as you go up the frequencies, so the 16ohms in the bass area is good, also it is not just the DC resistance of the voice coil that counts as load in the mid and tweeter the crossover components are contributing as well.

You are over thinking, just relax. When you have done the work just listen too them and report back. You will find you have to experiment with speaker positions a lot. I really like the idea of these speakers because if we can get them working in 2pi (very close to back wall), they will behave like Alison Ones which are a dramatically good speaker.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... es/161333/

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Thanks
Just going out to buy some steel plate and will crack on with assembly as I have a pair of JPWs waiting to be tarted up and fettled.
The Allisons look very like my speakers but the Goodmans have that big passive bass at the rear.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That bass radiator is my worry as it will never be in tune, a bit like the sub problem. But we can look at that when you tell us what is right and what is wrong.

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

I would try to copy the original Goodmans arrangement as closely as possible (if you knw what that was). With that many drive units in play the odds of you hitting on something better than Goodman's managed just by cocking around is pretty slim.

Daniel Quinn

Macca wrote:I would try to copy the original Goodmans arrangement as closely as possible (if you knw what that was). With that many drive units in play the odds of you hitting on something better than Goodman's managed just by cocking around is pretty slim.
Where's the fun in that , And you don't learn anything by copying ,just ask Dave Brailsford . :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Macca wrote:I would try to copy the original Goodmans arrangement as closely as possible (if you know what that was). With that many drive units in play the odds of you hitting on something better than Goodman's managed just by cocking around is pretty slim.
Why do you think he is cocking around. I have been designing speakers probably for longer than you have been alive. Opinion and rudeness are two different things.

Daniel Quinn

Absolute accuracy in your choice of adjectives is essential on H/S - :mrgreen:

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

With that many drive units in play the odds of you hitting on something better than Goodman's managed just by cocking around is pretty slim.(Macca)

I dont think Macca meant "You" in person Doc when he said you....... :think: :shifty: :animals-dogrun:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well there are two people involved in the *FUN* with these speakers floydfan and me, so is it either or both of us cocking around in his opinion. Also cocking around is just shorthand for cocking it up, so it struck me as a bit rude.