Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Doc is on holiday , so in the meantime i will offer my opinion .

i tried many values of padding resistor . if we assume 6 would have been perfect for you , it is unlikely a 5.6 ohm will be noticeably different .

You can only tell by listening and seeing which you prefer . 5 watts on all of them will be fine .

with the right ones the treble become less pronounced and the sound more integrated .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nothing to add.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I thought you had gone for a swim :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The pool is at 39degC at the mo :shock: luverrrrrrly :mrgreen: Breakfast followed by two hours in it this morning, followed by snooze and snack, then another two hours in the pool then a walk and buy some Limoncello in Laco Ameno followed by dinner at 8pm (steak for me swordfish for Nadia) followed by snooze, followed by midnight swim and ice cold Limoncello, followed by..........................................you get the picture, Just about to start the siesta snooze after the snack :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Plan followed exacterment, just come up from last soak, finished last Limoncello, in mi jammys, so nighty night. That is apart from a big black fly buzzing around the room that wont shut up. I am afraid it will have to die :twisted:

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Murderer :lol:
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Ronin
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ronin »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Doc is on holiday , so in the meantime i will offer my opinion .

i tried many values of padding resistor . if we assume 6 would have been perfect for you , it is unlikely a 5.6 ohm will be noticeably different .

You can only tell by listening and seeing which you prefer . 5 watts on all of them will be fine .

with the right ones the treble become less pronounced and the sound more integrated .
Thank you DQ for chipping-in.

I know my questions may be overly cautious,but it's because I have very little idea on how these things work and to how much damage can I do to the drivers, I am learning (if at a snails pace)

I'll experiment with adding the 5.6ohm resistors if the 10ohms don't do it for me.

One thing about the sound which has surprised me, is how good CDs are sounding,better than vinyl? but they do sound much more 3D, more detail/depth if that makes sense.

I've learnt something about these speakers that I'd like to share, but didn't think it was that important at the time.Whilst I've been making modifications I've been leaving the screws out of the back to give easy access (big mistake) you really do need to at least replace some of the screws (if not all) to have a accurate picture (sound) of what you are doing.I've got a feeling that Goodmans designed these speakers to be as air tight as possible.Bass seems to be most effected by leaving the screws out,but the whole presentation slightly collapses (more distortion?) if not sealed tight.

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

This is the reason for what you hear http://www.loudspeakerdesign.co.uk/infinite_baffle.php

You have learnt a new lesson because you have listened and trusted your ears :geek:

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Thank you for the link Doc, this will be my bed time reading.

Ronin

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

Hows it going Ronin ? Any progress ?