Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

A place for DIY project discussions.
Ronin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

Unread post by Ronin »

Hi istari,

No progress, in the sense I haven't fitted the resistors yet (been to busy), and Just as well really,because I've had to reevaluate due to not sealing the speakers adequately in the beginning .In doing so, the sound is much more even (treble and Mid range balance is better) the "new" tweeter is a delight much more open and sweet, bass has tighten up,but is far from ideal (for me that is) .

I've decided I'm not going to fit the resistors,I'm going to dope the mid & bass driver next,I'll report back after I experiment with that.

Thanks for your interest.

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I thought that might be the case apart from with the tweeter as it was not part of the original design, but it looks like you may be lucky with them. It is always best to avoid padding resistors and do it with doping if you can. Have confidence mate, you are well onto the right track, soon you will be telling others how to do it.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Have confidence mate, you are well onto the right track, soon you will be telling others how to do it
Not sure about that doc, I only know what I like, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Excuse the delay on updating this thread.

I’ve finally got round to giving the Mid/Bass drivers a 1st coat of doping .I did it first thing in the morning and had a listen later on that evening.

First impressions were ,vocals were much better presented with better clarity and depth ,but I felt that the music had lost some momentum?

OK,that was a few days ago, and I’m glad to say the music has been re-energized (maybe they needed a few days of drying? ) the momentum has returned and not only that, the “depth” of the instrument/vocals have improved, drums in particular sound much more believable the attack and decay is much better.

Infact, there is an overall improvement in Pitch, Range, Resonance and Depth than before.
I hope I’ve made sense in trying to describe the sound/improvements that I’m hearing.

Now,do I give the drives another coat of bison? Or do I Plasticoat them?

Ronin,

Here's some pics.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I would put more but it is up to you, if you think it is there just plastidip, you can always add more dope later after more listening. Remember you haven't done the bass driver yet, until you do that and take some of its midrange contribution out you are not knowing what is going on.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Remember you haven't done the bass driver yet
Mid driver and Bass driver has had one coat of Bison-kit Doc.Are you recommending coating up the Bass driver with plasticoat first then do the mid.

Thanks

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

What ever you wish, it is an ongoing project as your ears and the positioning of the speaker change your perception. If you wish you can add both bison and plastidip in layers it matter not, nothing is precise, small amounts make little difference. You are being a bit twee at the moment, I was like that when I first started doing it but now I pile it on.

As you have now learnt always let dry, as drying hardens the dope, so less damping effect.

Above all stop worrying and enjoy yourself.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

OK,I'll try to chill out a bit ( I was just concerned I'll lose what I've achieved ) and experiment with additional layers of doping/plasticoat and report back.

What I'm also amazed at,is how good a 50 yr old amplifier can sound by improving the speakers.

Ronin

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Good on ya Ronin, looks like yer having great fun........Enjoy.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Thanks jammy, and you're right, I'm having more enjoyment from DIY then I've ever had with my past box swapping.It's a great confidence builder, and great way of improving the sound quality (tailored to my needs) without spending big bucks.I also feel proud that I've recycled a high quality product from the past which was obviously built with care, attention to detail and pride . Of course,this has only been achievable through the help and advice I've had from all the kind folks on here (especially the Doc) :obscene-drinkingcheers: :romance-grouphug:

Who knows, perhaps I'll build my own speakers one day!

ATB

Ronin

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Just a up-date on my Doc modified speakers, it's been a while since I reported last.

I stopped at 2 layers of dope on mid/bass drivers (appox 10 mths ago) and I've been enjoying them since,I feel that they actually "mature" (sound better) with age. There are "pro's" and "con's" for me, with developing the speakers using these methods.

Pro's = better flow to the music (speed), a cleaner,more precise rendition of instruments,bass definition is better (very important to me).basically, a "cleaning window".
e
Con's = exposes flaws in the quality of recordings (Some I just can't tolerate anymore) the speakers are ridiculously heavy being lined with steel plate.

The extra insight into the recording is one that I prefer ,I can still enjoy all-types of music , as long as it's well recorded ,which gives me more pleasure. I guess I came to a "cross-roads" I either stop peeling away the layers, and try to be content with what I've got, or continue to exposure the warts and all. I decided that I'd rather have a system that would bring me closer to the truth than have one that glosses over the cracks . Next step, I'm replacing the cheap internal wire with higher quality stuff ,replacing the cheap capacitors ,and adding more layers of dope to the Bass/Mid drivers.

Oh! I forgot to mention, there's been a change in my system. I was using a Leak stereo 30 plus to drive the Goodmans (used to have an old NVA AP 20) well, I got that "old" NVA AP20 back in my system ,but now it's accompanied by a "New" NVA phono stage :grin: purchased from my brother-in-law (who I swapped with in the first place ) he's gone down the valve route? what's going to be interesting though ,my BILs having a loan of the NVA cubettes and he wants me to bring up my NVA kit to compare,I've already tried his valve amp in my system and initially I liked the vocal quality and the smoothness but it quickly wore off, all music was a bit to "rose tinted" for me, It added an extra layer of tonal warmth on instruments that I could not live with.
I enjoyed my time with the Leak amp ( though I was a little frustrated with it's presentation of the music), but I'm enjoying the NVA much more, and surprised how much I've missed it.I think as I'm getting older my taste in music has changed, I'm more inclined to listen (and appreciate) more acoustic stuff (that's well recorded) .

I'll update ASAP

Ronin