JPW ML 510i

A place for DIY project discussions.
floydfan

Re: JPW ML 510i

Unread post by floydfan »

Thanks for the link Doc. Very pretty tartan but not the correct clan for me. I think my clan stole some sheep from/murdered a few of the owners of this tartan. So possibly could be a mistake to use it, we have long memories up here.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

don't think that "floydfan's" nearest and dearest would be too impressed with that draped across his speakers!

( ref' to pigsy's search idea)
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I guess that's what they call a full-bodied sound. I'd buy a pair!

floydfan

Been doing a lot of listening to the unmodified speakers and they sound very informative and clear but I have come to the conclusion that the bass is a bit light for me. I think I will do them up and use them with my squeezebox and A30 but look for a speaker(cheap) with a bit more bass for my main listening set up with A80s.
I do like bass that I can feel and although the little JPWs are very good they don't quite involve me. Any suggestions for a meaty speaker would be welcomed.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

How much do you want to spend.

floydfan

I can go to around £200 at the moment but may manage more later in the year.

floydfan

Thanks for links. They both look interesting and I will try for the Goodmans, although I usually miss out in auctions. The Ruarks are collection only so can't have them. I haven't heard much about Ruark but will add them to my "look for" list.
Thanks again.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They are fine as long as you don't buy the ones with two bass drivers. Ruark started as Diesis, which went bust, but the little Diesis was a fine speaker. Ruark have largely moved away from hi-fi to lifstyle products, but they made some good speakers. Brian O'Rouke started it his son now runs it.

Goodmans Dimension 8's are a ignored gem, but if you want the best out of them then you need to do the Magnum mods as on the other threads.

floydfan

I spotted a pair of Royd Abbots but they at £125 with 6 days to go so should be too expensive.
The Goodmans are an unusual shape, would the mods be more difficult than the standard boxes?