JPW ML 510i

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: JPW ML 510i

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Not a clue, depends how easily they strip, never done a pair. Goodmans always used crap wire in their internal wiring, so simple things like replacing that and hard wiring or cleaning all connection points will go a long way.

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Hi Doc
Got the Goodmans today and will do some of the "simple" things and have a good listen before I work out the modifications I can manage with the funny shaped case. I will run them with my A30 until I get my A80s.
I got them for £148 which is quite a bit more than the last pair I saw on Ebay. I think your ebay tips are being followed but if the sound as hoped it was a reasonable price for them.
Thanks for the info.

floydfan

I received the Goodmans dimension 8s today and am listening to Adele on them with my A30. They seem pretty good speakers with loads of "presence" but are very, very heavy and I am not sure that they will be moveable with a steel lining so may just look at replacing the caps, the wiring, and I will need to think about putting in binding post as there are just two bare screws and a Din plug on the bottom.
Doc as far as stripping them goes, they look quite easy as you will get excellent access when you remove the passive bass radiator.
I will be doing the JPWs first as soon as I can get some time from work. I will then report back.

floydfan

Hi All

Been a while since I reported on my JPW ML510i mods as been busy with my Goodmans. I have repaired the ripped vinyl covering with car body filler and spray painted them matt black. They look quite respectable. I have blocked up the port and lined the cabinets with 2mm steel plate. I am now looking at the tweeter and need a bit of input on the value of the capacitor . Looking at the crossover it seems that the tweeter has a 5.6 MFD 50 V cap and 4.7 ohm resistor and a small inductor on it. The bass driver has a 6.8 MFD 50 V cap and a big inductor.
I was thinking of just using a 5.6 cap on the tweeter and working out the resistor by ear on the tweeter and running the bass driver straight from the amp and listening to decide if doping is needed.
Any comments welcome.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You got it!

floydfan

Still working on the JPW speakers. I have been doing some listening and tweaking and so far have given the bass drivers 2 coats of Performix, which has made a big difference to the bass. To my ears, the bass is spot on with both bass guitar and drums sounding amazing. I think I may dope up the 8 bass drivers in my Goodmans when I finished with the JPWs.
I am still working with the tweeters and put a potentiometer in series with the cap and fiddled about with the resistance until the speakers sounded balanced. I found that 8 ohms was nearest to what I was looking for as any increase in the resistance had no discernible effect. The HF sounds crystal clear but I seem to have a problem with the sss in the human voice as they seem too sibilant. Changing the resistance above 8 ohms has little effect and I am wondering if this is something I will not be able to improve. The binding posts have been left off while I did my tweaks so the speakers are open at the back and I am using an old Panasonic amp to test the speakers so maybe this will have an effect.
Overall I am pleased with the modified speakers, although the unmodified JPWs were good, as they are very lively and musical. They also seem very efficient as the volume control is only a small way round for comfortable listening and if they are cranked up they go very loud with little effect on my pain level.
I will build them up with the 8 ohm resistor and hook up to my small NVA amp and let you know how I get on.

floydfan

I've finished with my tweaking and am glad to say both my projects have been, in my opinion, successful. The JPWs seemed to go well with my small NVA amp and have replaced my Missions in my living room (the wife likes the look of them) so will use them with my squeezebox.
The Goodmans are proving a good match with my A80s and I'm using them in my listening room. Just to be sure I compared them with my KEF iQ5 speakers and I am glad to say that the Goodmans sounded better. The Goodmans were more lively, clearer, with much more tuneful bass and give a more "surround sound" than my expensive speakers.
ps I am not very hot on " review speak" but I am happy with my music at the moment and spend more time listening.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Pics please :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just think! £148 plus some intelligent tweaking and you get a (so called) high end speaker :D

I do get some stick though. It seems my tweaks especially running bass drivers full range and series wiring them is being insulted by no lesser person than the imitation packing crate speaker maker :P so beloved of chewers and some AoS-ers.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

who is that - linky please, refc is it ? or rob holt ? or ywoan?, all 3 have had a go at me for copying your full range bass driver. :lol: