DIY Armboard

A place for DIY project discussions.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: DIY Armboard

Unread post by zebbo »

Just looked up Analogueworks and see they are straight out of the NVA mould, sell direct, no middle-men & slurpers, cool. :clap:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I have to say I've been very impressed by every contact with them. Most importantly the product is proving to be quite special. At the price it's just a steal. They are initially selling at cost to get established. The deck is reportedly a match sonically for the fletcher Omega point 5 and Notts Analogue Dais. Makes me wish I could turn every. CD into twelve inches of black vinyl. Still, I can have fun searching out records again :D

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Heres what i have learnt from making my armboard .

do not try to cut a whole in carbon fibre with a whole cutting attachment on a standard drill. Or like me you will end up wide awake on a surgeons table for four hours while the nhs's finest plastic surgeon's re-attach your tumb and ask you if you have not heard of compact disks :D

You only need a little , so often you can get cheap off cuts . I would advise at least 2mm , preferably 3mm

one side is usually shiny careful not to scratch it

you can cut it with a dremel . it is exceptionally dusty and the dust is harmful and sticks , you will need a mask and glasses and a shed or do it outside .

end grain balsa is easy to cut and use , it like a foamy wood , you can cut it with a stanley knife if you go with the grain

normal pva glue will stick them together .

this design is in keeping with pt's rigid/ light philisophy , the armboard is mounted on the subchasis , it is very very lite , it may not suit all decks . i note you are buying an export , if you use this armboard on the export you will need a weight on the armboard to balance the springs , indeed you export will probably have a weight attached to the standard mdf armboard .

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

OK Dan I will forgive for one nanno sec - But Please address the MAIN post of the day ....And don't fuk about with silly wibbly wobbly belt drives... :o :naughty:

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:"You won't believe this but I recently missed out on the technics cart thanks to slow wifi delaying my bid. One went for fifty quid just the other week"

I have their most famed one the EPC205c mk3 with 207c stylus not being used I could be persuaded to sell.
u
If the stylus is good, and I can find a conventional body I might be. Problem with these is retipping. The original cantilevers were boron made by vapour deposition. The aftermarket replacements are not the same. And I don't want an integrated headshell...
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, DQ. That was really helpful. I'm "in" for Balsa and "out" for CF. Just too bloody risky, especially with SME cut out!

I'm going with an Acrylic/balsa sandwich, using 2 mm acrylic, which I have some experience of. I am also on the lookout for a suitable lump of Delrin which I'll cut although this is unknown territory.

I remember the weighting issue now you mention it. The Orion is meant to he a bit of a hulk, so I might not need much extra weight. I might move one or two turntables on once I've chosen the best two. As much as I would like to keep them all, they take up a load of space and you can't stack them.

I'd better shit up now before Jammy goes upset about bouncy rubber band TTs :lol:

jammy395

IMHO.......

Guys yer barking up the wrong tree........
FUK THIS....!!!.jpg
FUK THIS....!!!.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
GET THIS...!!!.jpg
GET THIS...!!!.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
Spend the rest on Beer.............!!!

Oldpinkman

Regarding the export there is lots of scope, but it could end up quite expensive. Armboards are easy - arthur at funk will supply them, or if you are a keen diy man then it is a nice easy square.
The correct weight needs to be added to the underside of the board as noted in a previous post to balance the deck. From memory that is zero added weight with the orion.the deck is designed light in that corner so that adding the correct total weight of arm plus attached weight places the centre of mass at the centre of suspension - which is self-stabilising.
You don't wind up all 4 armboard allen bolts nice and tight. You need to adjust (have the option to adjust) needle talk. Play a record with no amplification and listen to it acoustically. Adjust the tension of the 4 bolts to minimise the acoustic volume. Start by pinching them up wrist tight, and backing off 1/8th on each corner.
Mods - I'll be posting. .. :whistle:
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Oldpinkman

Jammy
Having owned both - you cannot begin to conceive the difference. The 1042 is a very decent cartridge. The u205 was the best ever made. ..

jammy395

arthur at funk will supply them, (Oldpinkman)

Yes, well pinky my man, as hinted at by yourself in an earlier post or two or three.....I smell a bit of a Funking Shill coming on............. :think: :naughty:

Now normaly I would let it slide - but if you keep ignoring the previous post, and replying to ones of yer own making 10 post's back...Just wtf are we to think. :shhh:

The 1042 is a very decent cartridge. The u205 was the best ever made. ..(Oldpinkman)

As for the above statement - I presume it was lifted straight from the Guild of U205 Makers handbook............. :!: