Sony speaker project

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sony speaker project

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am not an oracle I am giving my opinion if people ask for it. You are welcome to start a thread with the title "ask Gus" if you think you have something different from your experience. If not then *do* things and establish that experience, that is all I am doing for other members here. This forum is not an ego fest like others, people can do and say what they want as long as it doesn't involve ad hominem or spamming and shilling.

We are also not an objectivist forum so your presumption I even know why it sounds better is not relevant, I am expressing experience and opinion. Often all the specs and intellectualised reasons do is create confusion. Personally I have reasons and theories but I don't rely on them I rely on my ears, and if my ears told me spreading marmalade on the base driver made it sound better I would do it - full stop! Then I am sure the stupidity would start as to if Robertsons or Tesco Value sounds better :roll:

gus3049
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I am not an oracle I am giving my opinion if people ask for it. You are welcome to start a thread with the title "ask Gus" if you think you have something different from your experience. If not then *do* things and establish that experience, that is all I am doing for other members here. This forum is not an ego fest like others, people can do and say what they want as long as it doesn't involve ad hominem or spamming and shilling.

We are also not an objectivist forum so your presumption I even know why it sounds better is not relevant, I am expressing experience and opinion. Often all the specs and intellectualised reasons do is create confusion. Personally I have reasons and theories but I don't rely on them I rely on my ears, and if my ears told me spreading marmalade on the base driver made it sound better I would do it - full stop! Then I am sure the stupidity would start as to if Robertsons or Tesco Value sounds better :roll:
My goodness me :D

I was not questioning your opinion, neither do I follow an objectivist vision of life, quite the opposite, I tend to be led by emotion and an artistic view of life.

There are however, those occasions when its nice to know stuff. Talk to me about guitar making or woodturning and I can offer an opinion based on experience. Others will offer different advice based on their differing experience, there is often room for different ways of doing the same thing.

I am aware of your opinion of received wisdom, however, just occasionally my interest is piqued enough to try and explain what I know nothing about. That's not objectivist, its just natural curiosity. I suffer from a surfeit.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I don't think you understand my post.

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I don't think you understand my post.
I think I did. I just chose to answer it my way!!

I prefer home made Marmalade.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You have to toast the speaker driver first.

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:You have to toast the speaker driver first.
With or without butter?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Don't be silly :roll: if you put butter on it the marmalade drops off :naughty:

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Don't be silly :roll: if you put butter on it the marmalade drops off :naughty:
Aha...at least I don't have to buy a cow.

Still, however they sound, they should taste good.

er....this was about speakers wasn't it? Apologies for drift.

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Thanks Richard
I understand what I am trying to do, as you said "simples" in theory. I am sure it will take a bit of tweaking to get it right but maybe I'll be lucky and it will be spot-on at the first attempt.
Ps Should the resistor be rated at 30 watts ie. the amp output or does the rating have a different relationship to the amp output?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No 5w is enough, it is only passing HF because of the capacitor, so power drawn is small.