hardwired Balanced Mains Transformer install

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: hardwired Balanced Mains Transformer install

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Gaz its mistakes like this that happen all the time on forums and I have to watch them with bemusement, at least here I can comment. Quite often what seems logical in electronics is not necessarily so. But there again what is technically correct or reads best on test gear is not necessarily the best. This is the dichotomy that is hi-fi as it is a mixture of art and science, and in the real world the two disciplines don't mix well. With hi-fi you can't make anything without the science and you can't judge anything without the art - it is a recipe for conflict. So the two should be kept apart, end users don't need science and lots of engineers don't think they need art, which is why there are so many crap sounding products out there.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A mixture of theory and test results gives you the likes of BBC type speakers :(

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

A mate was over last night and head the balanced mains setup.
He comes over regularly and has heard the changes along the way; solid state to valves, new speaker cable, new mains cables, new interconnects...the whole schmeer.

Last night He made a few of great comments:

"Makes the speakers sound twice the size they are, like one of those 10 grand sets about 8 feet high"

"Sound has the scale and transparency of open baffle speakers but with a lot more weight."

"Sounds like a completely different system"

Will be organising another Scottish Mafia get together in a few weeks, get the troops over see what they think.
Any Subjectivists welcome to pop along if they are curious.
I have HIfi n' stuff.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sovereign wrote:
jammy395 wrote:James please forgive - But - Do you like yer yaqin.............. :?:
Yes mate I do, very detailed, open and a strong bass presentation, not what I expected from valves at all. Very realistic sound.
You just put it up for sale at AoS :think:

Sovereign
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Sovereign »

RD you don't miss a trick, well kind of. I have two Yaq's at the moment, one mine, selling, and the other on loan. :?

Sovereign
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Sovereign »

Gaz

What SS amp did you have when you went over to the glowing side? I am still loving me SS A80's at the mo, yet the valves are bloody good as well, not sure which I prefer. NVA SS is the most non SS sounding amps I have heard and carry many of the qualities we look for in valves.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

How could I miss it Sov, finding thing to write about from AoS is one of my hobbies. If you kick up the new posts page every so often everything is there listed to browse and you putting your valve amp up for sale definitely deserved a browse :mrgreen:

Little escapes the Honeydew even though he doesn't have eyes :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He had one of those bloody Rega things I haven't been allowed to compare NVA with unless I buy one :roll:

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

Sovereign wrote:Gaz

What SS amp did you have when you went over to the glowing side? I am still loving me SS A80's at the mo, yet the valves are bloody good as well, not sure which I prefer. NVA SS is the most non SS sounding amps I have heard and carry many of the qualities we look for in valves.
One of those bloody Rega things, a Brio-R.

Still not heard one Richard?
Was selling mine for a song...mind you, there's always the Elicit round the corner ;)

Why not borrow one from a dealer?
I have HIfi n' stuff.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Find me a dealer who will lend me one or let me bring an equiv NVA along for comparison. I have been trying to do this for over a year now.