Dynaco A25

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dynaco A25

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This for me represent the differences in design concept that emerge in the 70' between the US and the British way with speakers. We were basically the same up to then with the major UK companies of Goodmans and Wharfedale and then the UK went off on the BBC speaker nonsense and then the flat earth. Well the US caught our disease to a degree but still made proper loudspeaker and these Dynaco's are a very good example. Proper solid speakers.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Incidentally the guy who sold them to me had big plans to give them a complete overhaul. He had even bought brand new tweeters and crossover components for the job. He never dared because he was happy with them as is.

What did he replace them with? An old pair of Allisons. I've still to have the pleasure of hearing a pair, but people whose opinions I respect, say very good things about them.

This whole episode has made me realise just how poor most of the speakers I've owned have actually been. Especially the slim floorstanders with multiple small drivers. Thank god i buy used or the total spent would be scary. Some serious money has been wasted by punters buying new over the last 40 years or more on such "upgrades". My "era" was the 80s and most of which has come after about 1992 I've found to be worse in terms of build and sound. I stupidly applied different logic to the things that preceded the mid 80s, ruling out that stuff as dated, old fashioned and the sort of thing only old men collect for nostalgia. Well I'm happy to be one of those "old men" because I'm learning more every time I come across older kit. Of course, not everything was great, but there are real gems out there and you don't have to follow the sheep and pay megabucks to own LS3/5as or Naits of this world. I'd not want either at any price. Better treasures can be had for bargain prices on the less well-trodden paths. This hobby has been distorted so much by the bullshitters that the price you pay for something now bears little or no relation to how good it actually is.

Still listening to music BTW. Have been since early morning :D

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

My advise would be to plug the vent first temporarily as this is the one thing which would be difficult to reverse and changes can be music dependant so A/b testing to see if you like it is helpful .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Allisons are special, my hero in the 70's was Roy Allison and I think he is just about still alive, though in his late 80's / early 90's.

I think of myself as a speaker designer as sitting on his shoulders, a lot of what I hold true came from him.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The surrounds on the bass cones look to be in really good condition. Are they the original ones? Are they made from rubber? If they are, there's good chance that they will outlast many modern speakers - all the ones with foam surrounds and owners that don't bother replacing them when they rot.

Cherry picked, under the radar, vintage speakers can be great for the sound quality per pound spent.

I find it a difficult decision with vintage speakers that sound fine when it comes to updating the crossovers or not. Either leaving them original or updating them - either approach is fine. Do whatever makes you happiest.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Hi, yes the surrounds are original and look really solid. I agree with Daniel that temp blocking he cent is easy and reversible. Maybe thin bits of ply sealed down with silicone sealant will do.

Interesting what the Doc says about Roy Allison. I've been keeping an eye out for a decent pair of Allisons for a long time, but nothing has come along as yet.

Half the fun is waiting though :D

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

You don't see many Allison speakers for sale now......Either all broken - Or too good to part with............. :think:

The latter I bet.......... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I smartened up the Dynacos today. Stripped back cabinets, repaintedfronts and refinished the cabinets. Grille fabric and badges still in the post. No real time to do much more for now and not sure how far I will go with any mods now I've heard them, but at least they look better. I couldn't have left them in such a mess. The old timers deserved better!

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Lookin good Andrew......... :clap: :clap:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Jammy. I'm actually starting to like the look of them. I guess you get used to everything given enough time :D