SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Another DIY SS Amplifier with NVA Boards

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

savvypaul wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm
Would love to hear that set up...
Hi Paul,
If you are ever in South Yorkshire you are welcome to come and have a listen.
I was talking to Richard at Owston and he suggested LS6 speaker cable and SSC interconnects as a possible upgrade path, although the basic system really is excellent now. I can't complain about anything. It does music.

The speakers themselves have been angled slightly away from axis in a toed-out arrangement, known in pro circles as a "splayed array" This ensures that listeners can never be on axis to the drivers as they have a rising frequency response. It works beautifully.

I kept vacillating between my 2W single ended valve amp and the NVA DIY, but overall, the NVA is just so good, it has taken up permanent residence in the system now. I don't know what I've done, I don't know much about transistors, but putting a second LED on the negative rail, has done something very positive to the music. What the mechanism is I'm not sure; might have something to do with having both rails now standing on the 1.2V drop of an LED each, rather than only the one.

If that's the case, then not having an LED at all might be even better, but we are now getting into tiny differences. Jimmy Hughes used to prattle on in the '80s, about the sonic benefits of disabling the indicator LEDs on his preamp, triple Krell power amps and in the on/off button on his LP12. Maybe he was talking :Bllocks: and maybe I'm talking :Bllocks: too :lol:
DIY NVA amplification ( roughly equivalent to NVA A60) BTE Designs passive preamp, BTE Designs Lenco L75 turntable, Rega R200 arm, Goldring E3 cartridge, NVA Phono 1
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, AppleTV4 with Apple Music subscription, ripped CDs streamed via WD MyCloud Home Duo NAS, with PLEX media server.
Speakers - Large sealed cabs, with Fane 12-250-TC 12" full range drivers.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Cool.

I'm going to pop down at some time to see Anthony about making me an idler deck. Maybe we can combine?

...I can bring some LS6, SSP Mk2 and TIS with me...
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm

That'll do nicely :)
DIY NVA amplification ( roughly equivalent to NVA A60) BTE Designs passive preamp, BTE Designs Lenco L75 turntable, Rega R200 arm, Goldring E3 cartridge, NVA Phono 1
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, AppleTV4 with Apple Music subscription, ripped CDs streamed via WD MyCloud Home Duo NAS, with PLEX media server.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:54 pm

I don't bother with LED's in anything diy. Always thought it was added complexity and can never be bothered.
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Why not just have a single led with a double sized resistor between the +ve and -ve lines?

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Never thought of that Nick.
I'm not used to bipolar power supplies as you can no doubt tell. :oops:
Got two holes in the front panel now.

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 pm

SteveTheShadow wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Never thought of that Nick.
I'm not used to bipolar power supplies as you can no doubt tell. :oops:
Got two holes in the front panel now.
It now has eyes, just draw a big smile below :grin:
Rega\Teac\NVA\SA Mantra30\ATH-A900X
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am

Customers want a LED, it is helpful to know the amp is on. But I can assure you I know of the slight negative effect of them to the music, and I mean slight. To the point that with the smaller end of the amp range it is really not worth bothering about. The other thing that slightly messes up the performance is the mains switch and over time this can worsen if used a lot due to slight arcing on contacts. This only effects the bigger amps with bigger power supplies hence bigger switch on surge. My decision was to leave the LED and switch on the standard Black Box Range up to A80s, and remove switch and LED now from the Statement / Bespoke amps. With the advent of the A100 which is really a mini TSS I have left them off that as well.