Ebay madness

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ebay madness

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Was tracking this auction but once it passed the £700.00 mark, my interest dropped,
but surely the winning bidder £800.00 too much for these?, am i off the mark?.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonus-Faber- ... 7675.l2557
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Ebay madness

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Madness, like the LS3/5a thing.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Bloody hell, £1500 and with a faulty tweeter? Mad
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Agreed Doc.

Exactly Zebbo, i'd have thought £700'ish was it max considering the faulty tweeter which i think must be unobtainium now,
but the cabinetry is fabulous though,i can't help but think the Audiolab amp being overdriven fried the tweeter,
my opinion of course having no experience of the amp but it was a fave of the month back in it's day.
Frank...made me do it.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

wiicrackpot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 pm Agreed Doc.

Exactly Zebbo, i'd have thought £700'ish was it max considering the faulty tweeter which i think must be unobtainium now,
Someone will find a pair of tweeters, totally unsuited to the cabinet, crossover etc. and think they have "improved" the sound.
wiicrackpot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 pmbut the cabinetry is fabulous though,i can't help but think the Audiolab amp being overdriven fried the tweeter,
my opinion of course having no experience of the amp but it was a fave of the month back in it's day.
It is easy enough to destroy a tweeter, simply drive the amp into clipping, not quite as easy with a Hi-Fi amp but still possible.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

wiicrackpot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 pm Agreed Doc.

but the cabinetry is fabulous though,i can't help but think the Audiolab amp being overdriven fried the tweeter,
The Audiolab is fairly powerful so to damage those tweeters would require some ear splitting levels. I can't see it being easily overdriven. It's possible that Sonus Faber do have spares but why would the seller put it up for sale without repairing the issue?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Be fair Gents, at least the wood and leather looks nice.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Aye, they are beautiful bits of kit but never been over enamoured with their sound.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They sold on bling. Strip the wadding out of them de-constipates them a lot. That case doesn't need it.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

I agree. An Edinburgh hi-fi dealer tried to sell me a pair of these some ten (or so) years ago at a knock-down price. Looked pretty and clearly (?) well made. However, once I looked (and listened) properly, soon dismissed and went for a pair of Shahinian Arcs instead which did everything fine.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.