Marantz SA-7S1

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Marantz SA-7S1

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not daft unless they take advantage of the criminal prices at the mo for the so called high end. In the past Sony always priced fairly, fairly doesn't exist now it is only rip-off - apart from me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

£5k 555 to £10k 777 I would say. If they join the rip-of then the 777 would be over £30k.
And certain brands sold mainly by Richer Sounds!
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

southall-1998 wrote:I've seen inside pics of modern CD Players costing nearly £12k. Some of them are practically empty inside, with shitty small transformers :o :x

It's very hard going back to other CD Players now. The Sony sounds musical and is wonderfully built.

If I had to downgrade. The only entry level CD Player I'd have back is the Rega Planet Or Linn Mimik.

Maybe if I win the lottery someday. I wouldn't mind trying one of those big heavy Accuphase CD Players. But I'm capable of buying a Rega Isis!

S,
They are the same as cheap CD players with a bling outer case! Even Rega are at it with their £6K Isis player. Those in the know are saying that their £1500 Saturn R sounds as good and possibly better.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Isis and Osiris were attempts to take the brand into bling territory, setting up (far too many) 'reference' dealers in the process to sell them. In the UK, nobody could at their retail prices (I do like the VALVE Osiris CD Player though...), so several months to a year after these dealers were set up, they flogged all their Reference stuff off for half price just to get their money back. The Isis sounded like a Brio R, but bigger and clearer on vinyl. The Saturn R is a lovely sounding player and probably as good as most people could ever need as you can hear straight to the recording, the player not seeming to get in the way. Mind you, I was stunned by the Quad Artera Play (made in China admittedly) and that has a proper balanced output preamp in it too, for those that need such things, selling for £1400 or so...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: I was stunned by the Quad Artera Play (made in China admittedly) and that has a proper balanced output preamp in it too, for those that need such things, selling for £1400 or so...
.....and WTF only gave it mediocre 3 stars.

I've been using a Toshiba SD900e for 13 yrs,
£1300.00 in the 90's and the best £80.00 i ever spent on a piece of hifi when i bought it in 2003,
never missed a beat and reads everything, the transport is poetry in motion a joy to use,
gong at this rate it'll probably see me out.
Frank...made me do it.

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not daft unless they take advantage of the criminal prices at the mo for the so called high end.

£5k 555 to £10k 777 I would say. If they join the rip-of then the 777 would be over £30k.
Is that strictly accurate? Would it really cost that nowadays to achieve the same quality?
Don't get me wrong, I own a X555ES and it is a fantastic thing in every possible sense :mrgreen:
What does bug me is that after buying it and immensely enjoying it, someone at work (who apparently is a hifi guru) keeps on saying that he "can't understand" paying £400 for a 25 year old Sony mass produced CD player, and no matter how good i say it is, his opinion will not change!
The same cretin has also poured scorn on another colleague who after years of wanting one has just bought a SL1210. It seems according to him that its a terrible deck and should be avoided :doh:
I'm not sure if it's born from jealousy or just plain ignorance, but why some people just feel the need to rain on others parade is beyond me. Either or, it's quite sad.
Oh, and i really should mention that the above imbecile is a avid reader of WHAT HI*FI.
Rant over :guiness;
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Jonty2547 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not daft unless they take advantage of the criminal prices at the mo for the so called high end.

Is that strictly accurate? Would it really cost that nowadays to achieve the same quality?
Don't get me wrong, I own a X555ES and it is a fantastic thing in every possible sense :mrgreen:
What does bug me is that after buying it and immensely enjoying it, someone at work (who apparently is a hifi guru) keeps on saying that he "can't understand" paying £400 for a 25 year old Sony mass produced CD player, and no matter how good i say it is, his opinion will not change!
The same cretin has also poured scorn on another colleague who after years of wanting one has just bought a SL1210. It seems according to him that its a terrible deck and should be avoided :doh:
I'm not sure if it's born from jealousy or just plain ignorance, but why some people just feel the need to rain on others parade is beyond me. Either or, it's quite sad.
Oh, and i really should mention that the above imbecile is a avid reader of WHAT HI*FI.
Rant over :guiness;
That's probably because your work friend is a cheapskate.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Most civilians think a decent hi-fi costs £100 all-in.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

He'll never be a hifi guru reading WHF, but he will know where to buy the shitest brands at the cheapest prices.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Surely it should be What Hi-Fi?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Just tell your colleague that WTF writers really want to write for What Car, but they have to start somewhere and WTF is the bottom of the barrel with a circulation a third what it was twenty years ago if I remember correctly. HFW only sells a couple of thousand issues a month I'm told - makes me wonder how they keep going...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...