Rega Speakers.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rega Speakers.

Unread post by Andrew »

I really do dislike CD. It's tolerable at best and only then in the absence of vinyl. I could never listen to both in the same session without wanting to get rid of the CD player. Only the Naim CDI really stood out from the crowd. The PDM2 was also a step up from the norm in many ways. If I could chuck both in a blender and get the best of each, it might make a CD player that would finish a respectable 2nd to a decent turntable.

I'm honestly pleased for those who really enjoy CD. It's easy to use and has a massive catalogue if cheap music. I've not entirely given up hope of making a better job of CD replay, but it would have to be something that sounds different to the rest. Two I'd probably try when funds permit are the CDS and the Chord DAC64. I'm not holding my breath though.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

With my new combo, which incidentally is the same as Marco's one. That happened by accident as the first high quality CD player that came up at ebay after I sold my TFS was the Sony, after that I thought about a DAC but the Sony was so good on its own it wasn't a priority, and then the Sony DAC came up on German ebay, well i paid a lot for it but they are really like hens teeth. The Sony CD on its own was as good as the TFS but with the DAC it is better.

Soooo to cut a long story short I think as a digital replay system it would be very very hard to better this - so Mucus can't be completely deaf. Against my PL71 / Ortofon SPU Gold, well I am inclined not to prefer. I will say that as a medium I think analogue is better musically, but away from that my CD system has other assets the turntable doesn't have. So at the moment I am happy with both.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I do enjoy my Rega Planet CD Player. Sometimes I also enjoy the Naim CD5si. To my ears the Naim can be a little addictive, thanks to it's attack and fun pacey nature. But its certainly no warm sounding CD player though :lol:

Here is the odd bit, my father is not that keen on the Naim as he finds it a tad clinical. Also, I think he prefers a slightly more ''relaxed'' sounding kind of CD player but retaining the pace and punch of the Naim.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm glad you got the DAS-R1. They hardly ever come up for sale and they were megabucks new. They look incredibly well put together and I'm sure it will embarrass most "high end" pretenders today. There can't be more than a handful in Britain either.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is so heavy. I was really surprised about the weight of the Technics 1200 cd player I sold on to Macca, but the DAS-R1 is about half again the weight and it is just a DAC. The thing is stupidly well made, it is as though Sony wanted to say "well f*ck you this is what we can do when we really want to" it is enormous, and I have never heard a DAC as good as it.

I don't think I will ever part with it as IMO no one is capable of producing it (or anything as good) now.

I suppose now I will have to wait and look out for a CDP-R1 just to get the last little bit even though the X-777ES sounds really special with it and matches it cosmetically.

southall-1998
Wales

This Sony DAS-R1 looks lovely!! Looks like another sleepless night for Shane :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Sony cdp-s1

Is this what your after Doc?
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Nope, not on the same planet. This is what I am after.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-R1.html

southall-1998
Wales

Doc,

I've been looking at the Sony CDP-X777ES (Your one) which looks to be very impressive. How much did it cost when new?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I don't know Shane, mine cost me about £500 on ebay.