Rega Speakers.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rega Speakers.

Unread post by Andrew »

I've been playing with the pair of Kytes Shane pointed out above for the last few days. I'd not expected much, to be honest. First impressions were that they sounded like they needed running in. I don't know what, if any use they'd had. They were thin, constricted and just small-sounding.

They didn't really sing with my Audion valve amp even after a few hours, which is funny, because Elas have never liked any of the host of valve amps I've tried them with. Upstairs with the Xerxes and MVL A2+ Amp they are ....... Well, cracking little things :)

They are VERY light on bass but really lively, musical and tight. They probably remind me most of Naim IBLs. Ultimately they won't beat Elas, which just have far more about them, but that misses the point. I don't listen comparatively. I simply judge whether something floats my boat and makes me happy when I listen. The Kytes make me smile because they play music with real vitality.

Tonally, I'm pretty sure they aren't one of the most accurate. Some will find them uncouth, I'm sure. The tweeter isn't the sweetest or most extended I've used, but it doesn't spoil them. They are real fun and they do strings, voices and percussion like their lives depended on it. They are also great with electric guitars. They can convey dynamics on things like Yello's flag in a way very few smaller speakers can. Most just sound hopeless with this album.

I've been through a lot of records in a few days. There are more albums strewn all over the room than there are left in my record storage cubes. I've not ventured down the CD route upstairs because..... Well, CD is shite as far as I'm concerned and I'm having too much fun to soil my hands with the things. Sorry to any CD fans, it's just my opinion and I'm not forcing it on anyone else. I will try them with CD when I've played all my records and managed to lower my expectations again. I can never listen to vinyl and CD back to back because I always end up dissatisfied with the CD player and I end up spending dosh to no avail.

I've no reason to expect them to fall flat on CD but I will update when I've listened.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi Andrew,

How have you got the Kytes "mounted" ? I think this changes their character quite considerably.

I have a pair blue tacked to some Heybrook "point five " stands (filled with lead shot, very heavy and stable).
I use them in the dining room, mainly for listening to radio 2. Brilliant little speaker, dynamic/raring to go. I might give them the steel plate treatment during the summer holidays, although I enjoy them so much as they stand that it may end up being one of those things that I keep on putting off.

Interesting to see the Ela crossover, although with my lack of knowledge of such things not much use in diagnostic terms :oops: I take it that it is a relatively simple one (given the small number of components).
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Hi Guy. I've actually got the Kytes on Sound Org/Soundstyle Z1s. They are filled with Atabytes and sand, so about 30kg each.

I get the feeling the Kytes thrive on the sort of bass you hear from a larger Exposure or Naim amp. The MVL sounds uncannily like a bigger Exposure combo and they really work well with it. I can imagine very different results with a small integrated, but I'm still learning about them.

People often describe Naim speakers as "dry". It's a funny term but if it applies to them, it will apply to the Kytes I guess. Whatever words you use, it can't convey the fun I'm having listening.

I might well pick up another pair to modify as you describe. I've got so much on with house moves right now though, it will be a while. Still, they don't exactly take up a lot of space.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Sounds like you are a happy bunny, Andrew :)

Pity that you no longer have an NVA amp to try with them Kytes :( They are very simple crossover type speakers!!

Some pics of the Kytes in action will be nice.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Will do, Shane. I'll take a couple of pics in daylight. I might be wrong but I think they might like the bigger NVAs best. When the timing and price is right, I'll pick up some bigger NVA amps again. Right now I want to get all the house move bits out of the way, before any bigger purchases. I shouldn't even be dabbling, but it's just too much fun.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Andrew wrote:Will do, Shane. I'll take a couple of pics in daylight. I might be wrong but I think they might like the bigger NVAs best. When the timing and price is right, I'll pick up some bigger NVA amps again. Right now I want to get all the house move bits out of the way, before any bigger purchases. I shouldn't even be dabbling, but it's just too much fun.
I know you don't like comparing. How do your Kytes stand against your Royds?

Hmmm I thought Kytes are easy to drive? Perhaps they like good current ?

Thanks, look forward to the pics.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I did compare them briefly, just because I thought the Royds would bury the Kytes, which hadn't fully run in. They didn't and I was quite surprised.

Differences: Royds have more bass and are more 3D. More refined treble too. Kytes are tighter, livelier and faster. Don't soundstage anywhere near as well, but REALLY do well on Percussion, Strings, electric guitar and vocals. If I said they were "naim-like", that's probably a good summary. Incidentally, the same Royds in the same system completely trounced Linn Kans.

I'm confident the Royds would be miles ahead of Kytes with a smaller amp. The Regas seem to rely on a beefy source and amp to sound fully loaded IMO. I'm still on a learning curve with them though.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Comparison to the Cubes ?

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

The Kytes can't compete with Elas, although they are fun and very satisfying in their own right. Nothing compares with those cubes. It doesn't wear off either. I came back to find they were just as breathtaking (literally) as last time. I've not even fed the cubes with the best of sources either. My fave turntable is upstairs so I'm going to have a move-around and try it with the cubes. I'll try the MVL amp too, just for good measure, although they seem to work brilliantly with the little SET amp. I'd expected the cubes to be good but not THAT good. I don't know of any other speaker that sounds anything like them, but you'll already know exactly what I mean. Anyone up my way at any time in the near future is more than welcome to have a listen.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Kytes should be as flat to a rear wall as you can get them and preferably on their little brackets. The replacement ARA model shares the same innards I believe and has a touch more warmth of tone.

CD is shite eh? You wouldn't like master tape then :grin: Either that or you've only heard shite CD players... :angry-soapbox: The better the amps, the better ALL formats sound and 'digital' gets the better-est of all IMO...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...