Possibly the silliest speakers ever?

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Possibly the silliest speakers ever?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

But Jammy we have so little to tease you about, mince n tatties, skirts - whoops I mean kilts, bagpipes and perfect sized speakers.

RIAT
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by RIAT »

with all due respect Dr.H i think you need to revise your latin. "ad hominem" literally means "to the man" or "to the person" and is the act of attacking a person directly without addressing their argument. if you look back at my post you'll see that i took a factual statement, namely that there are some people who automatically dismiss b&o as rubbish, and then enquired whether terrybooth was one of these people. okay so it was done in a bit of an arsy manner, whish i will apologise for, but there was no direct attack.
as to the speakers, agan a bit of latin knowledge would help. 'omni' is a latin prefix meaning 'every' or 'all' and so an omnidirectional speaker is one that fires sound in all directions. the beloab 5s have midrange adn treble speakers that fire upwards onto an acoustic lens to widen their output area but this still only works across one side of the speaker. the only bit that could be described as omnidirectional is the fifteen inch bass driver as that is downfiring.
£7000 was a very good price in my opinion for some very fine speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Your definition is of an semi omni directional speaker. How do B&O describe it. Hi-Fi when sold through distributors and retailers is a rip off of highest magnitude. You can buy a half decent new car for that money and you think it is good value :roll: it is rank overpriced stupidity. Now remember that is my opinion which you are welcome to disagree with, but do not address me for my opinion, address the opinion. I hope you learn, if not this forum is not for you.

Your first sentence in this new post is ad hominem I am afraid as well as the whole of your last post. You addressed the poster not the content of the post "to the man", the content was rude in the first post and condescending in the second, so that was also unacceptable. You do not make the rules here, if you do it again it will be removed.

RIAT

Unread post by RIAT »

this was an ebay sale from a private individual so i'm not quite sure what your comment about hi-fi dealers and distributors is referring to.
b&o don't describe the speaker in any particular way, just that it uses ALT lenses on the midrange and treble speakers. i also realise that £7000 is a lot of money for most people but do bear in mind that not only are they £15000 new but they have 2500w amplifiers built in, plus dacs and active room correction. they're not just a big box with a couple of drive units in like so many speakers which i agree, are a rip-off!

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

IMO you made some fair points RIAT .

However , second hand ebay price is intrinsically and inextricably linked to the initial retail price , which you confirm is £15k :o :D Thus no initial bollocks unjustified prices with 50% dealer mark up = much reduced second hand price . Everyone's a winner .

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

What happened to RIAT, Where did he go, Is he still with us............. :lol:

Mr Grummpy hasnt got a look in...... :mrgreen:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Not sure about the Silliest but gotta be the most expensive.......... :o
Hart Audio D&W..jpg
Hart Audio D&W..jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
That will be £5,000,000 (Five Million Pounds) to you Sir.

Yes they are cast in solid 24k Gold.........wtf

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

^ For rich Arabs only :lol:
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Or someone who likes the golden-turd-on-a-stick look.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I don't think B&O ever gave their dealers a 50% margin. I agree that the one time 'Solus' dealers got the usual 35% or so, but back when the dealer I worked at sold a range of gear and not just B&O, we only made 25% of which a fair bit went in free add-ons. After I left, the accountant for the shop leaned on the boss to stop this, and going solo helped the shop's profits for a few years. B&O have now priced themselves out of the market I think, many of their dealers have closed and what was once a prime Linn/Naim/Rega cum later Beo- solus-dealer in Harpenden has just become a Musical Images :eek:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...