Sansui AU-101

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Sansui AU-101

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Never heard one. But sure looks pretty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sansui-AU-101 ... 2ec5e26956

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sansui AU-101

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Simple low powered little amp which plays music. I owned one in 1970 (I think). The problem with them is the same problem with all good Jap amps. They are produced for perceived value, they are given ridiculous model numbers, they invent silly things to promote them like ladies cosmetics companies do which are meaning less non things, they are ridiculously over complicated with switches and pots and lights for everything you can think of. AND that I am afraid makes them very unreliable. The circuits are fine, apart from they never cottoned on to toroid transformers so lost out on a trick, but all the other gumf in the signal path messes them up and makes them unreliable. Components are fine, they rarely need changing, all this nonsense from people like Naim who say your amp needs servicing is just another way to make money from you. What goes wrong are contacts as they wear and get dirty over time. So all those controls and switches in Jap amps are potential problems as they fail or go noisy or go intermittent, and to try and find which one it is amoungst the plethora of similar things is a nightmare.

So enjoy them while they are working but if they start going wrong then it will cost you a fortune to keep them going unless you know how to do it yourself.

Oh and back to the AU-101 as it is probably one of the simplest then it is probably the least likely to go wrong.

southall-1998
Wales

That's good to hear, Doc. I'm guessing you were using efficient speakers with your AU101?

s.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I was mostly using heaphones because I was at home. I forget which speakers I had, I think I had some Wharfdale super 8 RSDD in home made cabs. When I moved out into a bedsit I had Goodmans Magnum K2's. My kit changed around very quickly back then, I could borrow things from the shop and I built things.

southall-1998
Wales

I remember wanting a AU101 to use in a spare room a few years ago. Someday I must hear one!

Will the AU101 drive Grado cans with ease?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I really don't know, I doubt it to be honest, they deserve a headphone amp. I used Pioneer headphones can't remember the number.

southall-1998
Wales

Interesting, the Sansui sold very quickly!

S.
Shane Lonergan.