Insane.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Re: Insane.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Very interesting, Doc.

One good thing about Naim, their CD Players & Amps have superb build quality!

I've never heard the ''Farlowe'' Exposure amps being compared to today's NVA. I wonder how they compare! No doubt the NVA will be cleaner!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

[quote="Dr Bunsen Honeydew"]But I bet the two of them continually tried to get you to buy Naim.

Yes my owning Exposure amps was a constant irritation to them
Beresford Caiman Ipod

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

southall-1998 wrote:Very interesting, Doc.

One good thing about Naim, their CD Players & Amps have superb build quality!

I've never heard the ''Farlowe'' Exposure amps being compared to today's NVA. I wonder how they compare! No doubt the NVA will be cleaner!

S.
Still own both and yes, NVA is cleaner, Exposure slightly more 'euphonic'. Exposure has been back to exposure to be recapped (which I guess means that they've put different caps in - given what the Doc says - because it did clean up the sound a bit). Both musical. Currently running my Exposure pre whilst my phono2 get's fixed, so I'm thinking of contributing to the user reviews thread when the Phono2 returns home. (The power amp is hooked up to an Farlowe era CD player, Bushmaster DAC, stepped attenuator, EPOS ES22s and is sounding good).

edit - and I don't think the build quality of the Exposure stuff is that different to Naim - what is different is the design - rather like the way they build 'strong' shapes into car bodies which aren't really strong (a thin bit of metal left straight is perceived as week - and it is - but bend it a certain way and it is perceived as strong - although it isn't). with Naim I gues the cases are slightly thicker - and certainly the early Farlowe era amps look 'tinny'. But, hey, who'd've thought we'd be listening to amps cased in plastic acrylic. :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi Folks
Any one out there played with or using Doc's Statement Amps....Y know the big buggers..... :clap:
Love to hear a bit about them....any sort o reviews. :think:
Jammy.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Yes I did a short review on the TDS's but I think it's on the old site
Beresford Caiman Ipod

jammy395

Cheers Applemarc...Will try and have a gander....... :clap:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Well whaddya know - the little Nait 2 has gone down further in price.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Gromit wrote:Well whaddya know - the little Nait 2 has gone down further in price.
Why....The seller feeling guilty :D

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jammy395

One good thing about Naim, their CD Players & Amps have superb build quality! (Quote - Shane)

But somthing must be wrong with the circuit or something..... there's no point looking at the lovely fit and finish under the bonnet, if it sound like a ........... :think: ....
...Cats chorus in use.

Makes you wonder at who actualy sits down and listens to Naim stuff and stamps the Sound Quality approval Do they take it to Brewster,s child cresh and let the toddlers decide or what............... :doh:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There was nothing special about the construction, it was pretty flimsy but gave an impression of strength because it use an anodised extruded alluminium gutter pipe for outer case with the cut ends left exposed and bare metal for cheapness. The actual amp was built on a thin bent steel plate that slid into it. The was the original case I haven't looked inside one for about 30 years so I don't know what they do now.