Another Minstrel.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
familyguy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Another Minstrel.

Unread post by familyguy »

Just make sure the seller has the original spiked bases . The Minstrels sit at a slight angle facing upwards on their bases.
TBH I'm sorry I ever sold mine , but I 'm happy with my Rega EL8s at the moment or I'd be very tempted to bid on these myself . Also got my fantastic little Royd A7s to fall back on when I need a ' Royd fix '. Good luck and hope you get them for a decent price if you're going for them .
Edit : looking more closely at the photograph it looks like the correct bases are fitted mate. I would maybe contact the seller before bidding just to make sure though :)

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Royd.....A great speaker, By (From apparently all who knew him) a nice man, (A CANTANKEROUS OLD GIT) With it would seem a great understanding in the (so it would seem elusive) art of making loudspeakers that actualy sing........ :clap: :clap:
There are literaly thousands of speakers out there hundreds of manufacturers......Just wtf is going on... :think:
Has no one acctualy stripped apart a few of joe's speakers..and learned from this master.....How hard can it be.
Now im not saying copy (although any patents have probably if any slipped) but just take a peek and try and figure what made Joe's speakers so bloody musical.
I will stop there before you get another jammy rant.
All the best folks Jammy...... :dance:
Last edited by jammy395 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

He wasn't a *nice* man he was a cantankerous old git just like me, but he knew his onions.

If you think I can rant about this industry you should have spoken to him :lol:

Now why people can't copy him.

When he left Decca he bought a test rig from them which is a frequency sweep generator but unusually not connected to an anechoic chamber but to surface contact transducers and I think a mic. I only saw the rig at work once and he was very secretive about it. He had a master curve overlay that he had established through voicing and he doped the cones of the driver he received until they closely followed this master curve on the test rig. Very labour intensive and he trusted no one else to do it.

He said to me he had got so used to the process he could do it by ear, but he was a techy (he always wore his white coat) so the rig was always used. So unless you have that rig, and it was unique and no-one knows where it is now, and also have his master overlay then they cannot voice the drivers to his spec.

jammy395

Doc ....OK....Like you, he could be a tad grumpy on occasions................. :hand: :lol:

But that RIG.....Like Legend.........Must be the Holy Grail of loudspeaker manufacturers................. :pray: .....Someone please find it....... :dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its not the Holy Grail, there is no such thing, the holy grail is your ears. He voiced the drivers by ear originally, he then had an overlay of that curve for that driver and he doped each cone until it approximated that curve when tested. You can do the same thing by ear which is what I do. There is nothing magical about Royd, they were good small speakers nothing more. I voice drivers by ear and dope them and anyone worth their salt in this industry (very very few) could do the same. All the machine did was give him a consistency that appealed to the techy in him. You don't need his rig, you need his ears.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Joe sounds like an interesting man, Doc. Was he a little more bad tempered than you? :mrgreen: Anyway, I can be moody myself sometimes :lol:

I'm guessing Joe was a big lover for Vinyl. I wonder what turntable he had?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He hated hi-fi dealers with a passion, he thought them a bunch of knowledgeless crooks and con men - and he was dead right about that.

BUT back then it was the only way to do business.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

familyguy wrote:Another pair of Minstrels http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royd-Audio-Mi ... 4ac0323953
The seller is lazy...Just copied and pasted the speakers info from the Royd site. The seller doesn't put his/her own words into the description box! That annoys me very much!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jammy395

Yep, i agree Shane...Its like they have no love for the product..Just moving it on for a hopfull profit................. :evil: