Nice little OA21S

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Gromit
Has thanked: 0

Nice little OA21S

Unread post by Gromit »

Lovely amp this...

Onix OA21S built in the day when Tony Brady (now of Exposure) was at the helm. A great amp of its day which would, along with Exposure, NVA, Ion etc show a Nait 2 a clean pair of heels. Probably a tad heavy on the ££ side but worth 200 quid any day of the week. Fabulous phonostage too.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Nice little OA21S

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What I can't figure out is why his new products at Exposure are not as good as his old ones or the ones designed by John Farlowe.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Disagree Doc - his new designs are excellent, especially his new 3010S2 power amps. The original 2010 and 3010 ranges were decidedly average though...like everything, I suspect market forces have a lot to do with output, but the new batch are certainly up there with his best stuff.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:What I can't figure out is why his new products at Exposure are not as good as his old ones or the ones designed by John Farlowe.
The S2's are very good indeed, but the ones produced when Exposure re-appeared (ie 2010/3010) were average at best. I heard Lefty's 23/28 'Classic' pre-power a while ago (which is based on a Farlowe circuit) and was mightily impressed. They go for cheap as chips too.

Edit: Theo beat me to it. :D
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well I have only heard and heard of the stuff he did first off, I thought he had to keep building the old Farlowe designs as no one seemed to want his but there was still a demand for the old stuff.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Ah yes, the 23/28. I loved mine, but I'll be honest and say that the P50sa/A80s were far better at driving the speakers I had at the time. I sold my pair for £1300, but you can get them now for far less. The second hand market is so interesting at the moment: there are some genuine bargains out there...
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Theo wrote:Ah yes, the 23/28. I loved mine, but I'll be honest and say that the P50sa/A80s were far better at driving the speakers I had at the time. I sold my pair for £1300, but you can get them now for far less. The second hand market is so interesting at the moment: there are some genuine bargains out there...
Too true - some guy was trying to sell a 23/28 in what looked like as-new condition but couldn't get a bite at £899. Silver finish though...Exposures have to be in black - it's the law. 8-)

Someone's after £480 for a virtually new 2010s2 aswell which would be a nice buy....but it's in silver.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

"The second hand market is so interesting at the moment: there are some genuine bargains out there..."

That is because so many people are skint!!

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

True, but not the point I was trying to make: there are brands that will always do well - even in these crappy conditions - and there are brands that slip under the radar. Newer/older versions of brands is a case in point: old Exposure holds its value, newer stuff does not, but therein lies the best chances of buying good stuff.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Think it's worth noting that Tony Brady wasn't at Exposure when the 'new' stuff appeared on the market. I'm not 100% sure what his first Exposure product was, I'm thinking it may have been the 23/28 but could be wrong.

The 3010 I had, whilst not awful, was a terribly uninspiring bit of kit. Darn powerful though and grabbed hold of my little ProAcs well, although didn't make them sing in the way my Expo X or Super XV did.