Nice little OA21S

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Re: Nice little OA21S

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I bought my friend's Exposure XV. Judging by it's faceplate, I'm guessing it's a later model. I'm tempted to get an Exposure Super XX, not sure how much ''is worth it'' it is?

The sound of my XV is solid and dynamic...not a smooth laid back thing! And yes, my XV is just the normal version (Not Super)

I notice Royds are often used with all the ''Farlowe'' Integrated amps. Wouldn't mind trying Royd Doublets.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Best of luck :roll:

southall-1998
Wales

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Best of luck :roll:
What do you mean by that! :mrgreen:
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Obviously "finding" Royd Doublets.

southall-1998
Wales

What, are they hard to come by??

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Anesthetise
Been thanked: 0
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Last pair appeared on ebay in 2011 (so over a year of dry market)
https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pw ... yd+doublet
First 4 searches, at least for me.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

southall-1998 wrote:I bought my friend's Exposure XV. Judging by it's faceplate, I'm guessing it's a later model. I'm tempted to get an Exposure Super XX, not sure how much ''is worth it'' it is?

The sound of my XV is solid and dynamic...not a smooth laid back thing! And yes, my XV is just the normal version (Not Super)

I notice Royds are often used with all the ''Farlowe'' Integrated amps. Wouldn't mind trying Royd Doublets.

S.
Nice result re the XV, it's a lovely old amp. What sort of condition is it in? I've never seen a XV in the later faceplate (ie the sort-of italic print) so would be interested in the age of yours. Any pics? I'm not sure a Super XX would be that much of an upgrade, but at the right price it would be worth trying. I'm more & more intrigued by the new 2010S2 as there are many die-hard JF fans (I include myself as one) really rating it. Not heard one, but would like to. :)

Re the Doublets - as Doc H says, good luck finding some. Personally I was never a fan of them, although that's not to say others shouldn't be - far from it. Didn't have quite the magic of the Minstrels somehow...reckon old Joe just got greedy with his drivers. :D
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Anesthetise
Been thanked: 0
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Last year, in March as far as I remember I picked up Royds RR1 for 480 pounds postage to Poland included. They have never appeared on ebay or any English trade subforums ever since. I think I have overpaid, but I have never EVER regret this. What I know is that I would probably not get anything as good for the price here in Poland.
They are tiny, cute and incredibly musical. Driven by A80s, whatever you feed them, they put out with enourmous ammount of musical air for their size (if you happen to check my thread in Music subforums from time to time, you'll know I feed them with very different music). They would probably give up in a big room - mine is 4,8m * 3,8m, they aren't of high effectiveness at 83dB.
Well, I just love and got used to them. My pair will never appear on any auction site ever again :)
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

southall-1998
Wales

Gromit asked for a pic of my XV. Not a great pic but looks OK.

This must be a later Exposure XV. Still sounds OK...God knows if it needs a service by now?

Sorry about the dust :whistle:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

southall-1998 wrote:Gromit asked for a pic of my XV. Not a great pic but looks OK.

This must be a later Exposure XV. Still sounds OK...God knows if it needs a service by now?

Sorry about the dust :whistle:

S.
That looks lovely Shane - very nice indeed. If you decide to move it on, please give me a shout first? ;)
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6