Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Unread post by Classicrock »

I've checked the specs of the NW analogue cartridge and it's 0.3mv output and a 3 ohm impedance. From that I would expect it to be about half volume using a passive pre with my Phono 2 unless something else in the specs is critical.
Last edited by Classicrock on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Classicrock wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am I've checked the specs of the NW analogue cartridge and it 0.3mv output and a 3 ohm impedance. From that I would expect it to be about half volume using a passive pre with my Phono 2 unless something else in the specs is critical.
Unless I'm mistaken, that's still a bit higher than a typical SPU and the SPU works just fine into an MC set NVA with plenty of gain available...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:14 am
So he knew he had a problem yet he put it in the bake-off and you say we are inventing a conspiracy,
If you remember we had a moment of unexpected LF oscillation with the phono you brought to the previous meeting. So I assumed that the problem Dave had had was the same one and would be fixed by not putting all the boxes on top of each other (which you blamed the problem on I think).

If we had decided not to use the NVA phono, I think you would be still calling it a conspiracy.
No I wouldn't, I didn't want to be in that bake-off, I didn't expect to be in it. If I had wanted to be in it I would have attended.

I have had it with David I cannot cope with his business practices which I see as detrimental to the hobby and a purely selfish slurp with no consideration of the customer. You are his friend and supply him and that I respect, we all make our own decisions. I tried with David as you know but the illegal fuse rip-off saga finished me off with him. So it would seem appropriate I do not get involved with so called Yorkshire Hi-Fi Cub bake-offs any more. It does not change my relationship with you one iota on my side.

The LF oscillation was the Phono3 still in prototype form, it needed more comping. As you know with all instability something sets it off and it then behaves like a feedback loop. It is always a balance between not putting in enough and putting in too much.

Anyway as I say do me a favour and get it back to me and I will give public report on it. It would be better if the whole thing inc PSUs came back and I refund it then it cannot be included and used to the attempted detriment of NVA as it is at the moment at that excuse for a forum run by YN(whatever).

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Classicrock wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am I've checked the specs of the NW analogue cartridge and it 0.3mv output and a 3 ohm impedance. From that I would expect it to be about half volume using a passive pre with my Phono 2 unless something else in the specs is critical.
Or it may be a MM phono stage.

As I said, it was my intent to measure the phono and report back. I can't do that ATM as its gone elsewhere. The next chance I have I will take a Shure test disk and a test set and report on the cartridge (or at least the one Dave has) and how it compares to a 103r that I normally use.

Lurcher300b

Anyway as I say do me a favour and get it back to me and I will give public report on it.
I will try.
The LF oscillation was the Phono3 still in prototype form, it needed more comping. As you know with all instability something sets it off and it then behaves like a feedback loop. It is always a balance between not putting in enough and putting in too much.
Ok, my mistake, but it was a honest mistake.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have never considered you anything but honest. sadly you are in the minority.

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:26 am Reading what Ywanker had to say on Audiofart it seems to me that the purpose of the event was to shill the Paradise and Arkless Phono stages. To best achieve this the NVA needed to be present and under performing.
There's so much wrong in this it's amazing.

So Mark thinking the Paradise sounded best means the event was set-up as a shill for the Paradise? Why would anyone shill a product that can't be made and another that can't be bought, especially a hard nosed businessman like David?

I assume David asked me to bring the Paradise because he thought a more attractive mix of kit overall would attract more people to his shop. Ultimately that's what it was about, showing people how good hifi can sound in a location able to sell them some of that kit. That's business. I for my part was bribed with a constant supply of tepid coffee and Dorito's (none brand name corn chips wouldn't have cut it).

Even if the NVA had been powered by the beating of platinum plated wings of virgin Victorias Secret models and set-up for the cartridge at hand by the fingers of Richard himself while giving away free lifetime subscriptions to playboy magazine it wouldn't have made any difference to how the Paradise was perceived.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I agree that is obviously not the reason. What we see here is opportunism not a deliberate set up from what I can see.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I am going on the write up of the Phono stages, the Paradise and Arkless being the final two before the 10K one, both coming out with glowing colours and promoted on the private members club of a forum. Also, the host is not adverse to breaking the law and promotes rip off foo products which he sells. All suspicious.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lurcher300b

CN211276 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm I am going on the write up of the Phono stages, the Paradise and Arkless being the final two before the 10K one, both coming out with glowing colours and promoted on the private members club of a forum. Also, the host is not adverse to breaking the law and promotes rip off foo products which he sells. All suspicious.
It was done in a rough order of price. But TBH, I am done with talking about it.