Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Vlad_Dracul
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Unread post by Vlad_Dracul »

CN211276 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:13 pm It was more of a Paradise/Arkless sales pitch than a bake off. This thread is exposing it.

You appear to be ignoring the salient points made earlier in this thread from keepitsimple, Lurcher and Daniel ? and are merely fuelling conflict for entertainment ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

CN - Be fair, not as far as Nick and David are concerned, and Si has been very open and fair about it, and it is he who gets the PCB's made up. AND remember it is not a commercial product and Si is not making much if anything (slurp) from the process. There are two villains in this piece of shite going on, Wanker and Open all Hours (Arkwright). They seem to be planning to make it a commercial product. It should be remembered it is BASED on the thing that is open source through Si with a few (I don't know how much) modification by Gizz us a Job.

If it is better than a NVA Phono stage then all well and good, I welcome all improvements to our music, I reserve my distaste for the people not the product.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

My comments are aimed at Ywankers write up and not just from a NVA prespective, he concludes that the Paradise and Arkless out performs a Phono stage costing 10K with a 3K transformer. This seems dubious, contrast the recent bake off write up by Steve the Shadow where performance improves with price.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

As I have said before not everyone wants the same thing.
he concludes that the Paradise and Arkless out performs a Phono stage costing 10K with a 3K transformer.
Its clear to me now that some are more interested in excitement than emotion from their HiFi, and that's perfectly ok, but it would not be a surprise that a product (well all of mine) that focus on the latter would be less well received by those that prefer the former. As I said before, I don't understand how Yellow the "Race" can be used as a serious test track for a phono stage, but clearly some see it as such. I just saw it as a bit of fun up to now.

But I have also said that Jez's stage didn't sound at all like the Paradise to me, but again, different ears. With hindsight there were problems with the day, not least the preamp used having a 3k input impedance, this is not going to be kind to most valve output stages. But it was what it was.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

"But it was what it was." and look how it has been taken advantage of and used.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Once again this proves who it is worthwhile listening to and who it isn't.

If I set ywanker on fire i wouldnt believe him if he told me he was hot.

keepitsimplestupid

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Jez's stage shares only a very basic topology with the Paradise ie its a transconductance input stage. The psu's are nothing alike, jez's using no coupling caps in the signal path and uses completely different devices for amplification. It's as much like the paradise in execution as one single ended valve amp is like another using all different passive compoments, valves, psu and layout.

People listened to them and formed their own opinions, there was no coaching, no pitch, no overt expressing of opinions by owners of any stage. The most I said about the paradise was that it was a little tipped up at the top compared to how it sounds at home.

Quite how Jez can be the bad guy in this amazes me, he wasn't even there, it was I who took his stage, without his express approval. He had nothing whatsoever to do with the event.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He rudely commented before flatty removed his and YNs rules breaking comments. Apart from that we have history with him so he is one of our regular piss take victims.

His history of posts on PFM about his customers and his local pub was hilarious. He actually told them he spent their money down the local pub (I understand he nearly lives in it) so he couldn't afford to buy the components to finish the jobs and asked them for more money. That was what started our piss take. It has carried on since then.

Oh yes and publicly on two occasions he has called me a nonce which translates as child molester.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Jez is not the bad guy on this occasion. Mark has been the one playing games.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

keepitsimplestupid

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

I didn't realise he'd made that comment, bad form. Unacceptable