Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
valvesRus
Great Britain

Re: Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:55 am An own goal is self-inflicted - not the case here.
Agreed.

But, unless David Brooks asked for an MM Phono 2 when he ordered it from Richard then someone has cocked up. (if indeed that is the problem)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

David has owned the stage for many months.

What is your point?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

All the phono stages had a background hum problem apparently and my dealer-demming experience means 'to me' that the subjective comments can be all but ignored if there was background noise and hum induced into all the stages. Hum on a moving coil phono input is a definite no-no and in my experience it *does* mess with the music played..

A Phono 1 with built-in transformer and set for MC is very quiet indeed with a very low output? SPU fed into it FFS!!! My Phono 2 with supply at full umbilical length away is all but silent unless I'm insane with the volume control and I could never play at this level in any case!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This is getting more and more stooooopid, what built in transformer. The Phono 1 and 2 are the same circuit, same board the difference is in PSU. So MC is fine on a Phono1 just by setting the correct resistor on the gain stage. I would not use a SUT under any circumstances.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

the phono 1 has a MAINS transformer in the same case. SUT's never crossed my mind!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sorry, it can be read both ways, at least a possible confusion is stopped, as there seems to be a lot around ATM.

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

I would never use a MC under any circumstances either never mind SUT

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

I was present, I know nothing about the NVA unit that was used other than it was David's own and the casework appeared untouched. It was no more or less affected by the hum than any other stage that was used, but it had less gain based on the max volume setting on the preamp which was displayed on the display. Even at 79 db on the pre it was quieter than the paradise at 65db on the pre. Given that the paradise has 64db of internal gain and there was still more than 15db between them I'd assume it was set somewhere between 40-45db.

Is that possible?

it certainly didn't look fiddled with. No marks on case, split glue lines or anything of that nature.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is an MM unit that is the only logical explanation. It was December when I supplied this to him and I really do not remember which cart he ordered it for, but that is the only credible explanation. I supplied it at the Black Friday price even though he missed it by a couple of days as I was talking to him then as he wasn't seen as acting the arse over these SR fuses. BUT he may be a nice guy in person but now I just cannot cope with how his company behaves.

Anyway if it comes back (less PSUs) I will set it up for what ever cart he wants it set up for. Per usual YN(wanker) will play his silly put down word games he always reserves for NVA, remember the insults over the SC cable. You and I have managed to find common ground and get over the PFM history but obviously both he and Fatpoopy can't, so they (and that apology for a forum) get the piss taken out of them.

Dave (MCRU) obviously hasn't used it before this point otherwise he would have known. I cannot believe a hi-fi dealer doesn't know the difference between an MM and a MC cart, but it seems that is the case. So call him on the matter, it is nothing to do with NVA we build what is ordered.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/