Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Unread post by savvypaul »

I was going by what Mark had written at Audioflat:

"...without ‘breaking in to’ the amp itself (the case is glued together, there are no screws. To get into the case the top must be popped off by gently prying it away from the glue securing it) it’s not easy to determine if it is MM or MC..."
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

This whole episode is a little bit embarassing all round. A little bit embarrassing and no more than that.

A little bit embarrassing in that the Doc sent a MM phono stage when an MC one was ordered.
A little bit embarrassing for MCRU for not realising that it was an MM stage in advance of the bake-off.
A little bit embarrassing for YNWOAN for not realising straight away at the bake-off that it was an MM stage. DSJR was able to diagnose this and he wasn't even there.

We all make mistakes. And anyone not making a few mistakes a year is not trying hard enough.

Putting simple innocent mistakes aside for one moment, even if an MC Phono 2 had been at that bake-off I wouldn't expect YN to give it a write-up that accurately described how it really sounded. On past form he gives too much praise to components owned or made by people that he likes and he is over critical of components owned or made by people that he doesn't like. That's OK. He's quite welcome to do that. His tastes. His money. It's a free world where he can say what he thinks. Just as I'm free to take no credence in anything he says on hi-fi at all.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I don't remember which was ordered, I have it in the back of my mind, because he wanted to use it in his own home system, that in order to make it more flexible he would use a SUT for MC step up.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 am I don't remember which was ordered, I have it in the back of my mind, because he wanted to use it in his own home system, that in order to make it more flexible he would use a SUT for MC step up.
My apologies if he did indeed order an MM version.

I was taking the following from YN at face value. I should know better. Sorry. Slap on the wrist for me. That's my minor mistake in this whole affair. :-?
YN wrote:I don’t know why you are getting so ‘aerated’ about this! Yes David Brook told me he ordered an MC version and I don’t know about any of the other stuff you mention...
Source: http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... 3&start=40

Not that it matters much either way. The main thing is that MCRU ends up with whichever version he is happiest with.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And gets stuck in a corner and forgotten like the last time.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Phono2 mc will be delivered today back to MCRU - Dave PLEASE use it and report.