Stoke phono bakeoff

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Stoke phono bakeoff

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 pm I am doing this this year so if we can't find an alternative you can bring it to there.

Long time to wait though. Phono stage bake-off at a hi-fi show, that would be a first :mrgreen:
I have a room at that show as well, so if you want any more phono stages to have a bake off you will know where to find me.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sounds like good fun for the Friday evening.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Copied from TAS thread

bigman80

Hi all,

Thanks to the hospitality of an esteemed AoS mod, there will be a phonostage bakeoff taking place in Stoke. Currently confirmed as attending are Alan (Firebottle) with his Vivant phonostage, myself with my DIY "Wizard" phonostage and Macca (Martin, The Host)

We are hoping to get a Paradise phonostage owner to volunteer to attend and we are also actively looking for a NVA Phono2 (MC input) to participate.

As you can see, our aspiration is to get some of the top phonostages together in one room. If anyone has a Vida phonostage, or something of similar ilk (MF, LDA, VALAB LCR, Tron, Ray Samuels, Croft RS) And would like to attend, please get in touch. There will be a lot of photos taken so give them a clean too 😉

A date is TBC but should be before June

System will consist of a cocktail of:

Technics SP10 MK2, Tenuto Platter matt, PMAT 1010 tonearm, Kontrapunkt b cartridge into either NVA pre or Slagle AVC into either NVA Monos, Krell power amp or Firebottle Monos, into JM Labs speakers or Tannoys. Cables are NVA or SPOTFIRE or ...... Whatever you may wish to bring that sounds best.

This part will be confirmed on the day.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

OK this has been already talked about here when I was informed that I would not be *ALLOWED* to attend but they wanted me to send product

viewto ... 11&t=49203

What fantasy land do these people live in to be that rude and expect me to help. It is just another declaration of war. So my first shots in this new war say, ONCE AGAIN, if I am not there then nor is NVA. ALSO if any NVA user supplies them with a NVA unit they will be banned and black listed. I do not get insulted like this and they get away with it AND I will find out where it comes from. I am there or NO NVA - full stop.

What planet do you live on Biggy, would you put up with this 'cos I wont. This is a manufacturer organised bake off that was supposed to be organised jointly between Firey and myself and now the host (who is not part of the event) decides to ban one of the organiser, do you have a brain man - just think, would you have it done to you?????????, Marco and AoS have turned it into an extension of the forum war - not acceptable!! But if it is war you want then you have got it.

AND - Yes you eeeeeeediots you haven't stopped me reading or copying posts from TAS.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

NVA component owner holds bake off and bans NVA. You wouldn't believe it if it weren't true. We all know who is behind this. I'm afraid Macca needs to grow some balls and stand up to his fat friend.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Posted at Audio Talk

New Phono Stage Bake Off
Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:52 am

Venue required.

Doesn't have to be large.

Two requirements 1/ you don't ban me from attending :lol: :lol: 2/ not too far from Brum.

Anytime in the summer months, sooner better.

Components - originally suggested as a mk2 of the one last summer in Uddersfield as the Firey Vivant has progressed and he wants to assess in the mix again. The other one is of course NVA. We are trying to get SQ to bring a Paradise (or other owner builder), and Nick has some new ones. Personally I think that is a perfect mix, anymore and the listening process becomes too complicated.

Eric Shun
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Posted by Biggy on AoS this AM...
Biggy wrote:A few of us have decided to try and put together a Phonostage bakeoff in the Stoke area. This is going to be a one day event so early-ish start and we can carry on till late. Venue will be the Hotel used for the MiBO event last year. More details on this will follow.

Date: TBC (MAY/JUNE)

This is primarily going to be an AoS gathering but we've got a couple of folks from LH and TAS by special invite.

The List of possible phonostages in attendance are:

LDA Jfet - on loan from MCRU
LDS - on loan from MCRU
Aurorasound Vida - MartinT (TAS)
Audio detail NV-06 - LH member
Vivant - Firebottle
Wizard - Bigman80's DIY jobbie
Croft 25 - Jimbo

We are VERY keen to get a Paradise phonostage in attendance. If anyone would like to bring one please let me know.

I also know there's a Tom Evans mastergroove owner on this forum too

Any phonostage is welcome DIY, Unusual or otherwise.

System used will likely be selected from the following components:-

Technics SP10 MK2 with Kontrapunkt b.
Slagle AVC passive pre
Firebottle Monoblocks/ Krell power amp
JMLabs speakers

Again, if anyone has a better component for the system and wants to attend, let me know.

This event is open to any AOS member but space will be available for any MOD or site owner that wishes to attend.
No mention of NVA kit, possibly to avoid censure by Marco :epopc:
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

AND completely against the origins and promotion of the event. I think we are seeing the real Fireybum in this.

I think he never wanted this comparison in the first place, he has misplaced ego in his designs, yet fear he could be wrong have dictated the years of effort to get the first one. He was painted into a corner so had to participate in the one last summer and his worst fears were realised. It seems he has made it better and the same mind set is around all over again and with the same doubts - will he be pissed on again. His confidence has been boosted by it being said to be better than the Paradise at ASBO but it turns out there are circumstance 1/ use of BMU 2/ Paradise operating under mains spec for its regulators (daft over complication IMO). So that one is still "game on".

So far now there are three potential bake-off 1/ the original that I am still trying to promote 2/ MCRU Uddersfield Yorkshire hi-fi club, that firey wont go to because of distance, 3/ And now this wholly AoS event hi-jacked by Macca.

mules
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by mules »

Can't someone just take an NVA unit along and act as a neutral at the same time? Didn't Brookmeister volunteer one of the phono stages up?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Of course they can but it cannot be talked about at AoS and this is now an AoS event. The report of the event would have to say "and then we had *** ****** it was......."etc.

Ludicrous or what!

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:47 pm Of course they can but it cannot be talked about at AoS and this is now an AoS event. The report of the event would have to say "and then we had *** ****** it was......."etc.

Ludicrous or what!
Although it could not be talked about at AOS, it could be talked about here and everywhere else. AOS would look even more ridiculous.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc