DAC Bake-Off - Durham - March 31st

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: DAC Bake-Off - Durham - March 31st

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:41 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:08 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:03 pm Thanks for all involved in hosting / attending and writing up the bake-off.
I often award 2 winner's prizes at Bake-offs.

1 Best overall sound (Chord in this bake-off)
2 Best value for money (£40 Chinesey with power supply)

Small question. Was there any difference in the playback volumes between the DAC's? IE did some have a higher output voltage than others?
I concur.

Yes, a few did have different output voltages. We adjusted volume settings until everyone was happy that it was as close as we could make it...the last track played on one dac was the first track played on the next dac.
Thanks. One of my reasons for asking is that I prefer using passive pre-amps. And with the power amps that I use I've found that sources with low outputs sound flat and undynamic, whilst higher output sources sound fine.
Which DACs had higher outputs and which lower?
The Chord is high output - 3v I think. I would say The pi / allo combo was on the high side too. The fiio and doc dacs needed a couple more steps to bring them up to the same level. The teac I dont recall being quiet.

The Beresford is still buzzing on the left channel when I connect via coax so I am calling time on it.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Pity it would have been an important result to have included it, now we don't know - maybe in the future we can get a new type working one. I am sure MartinT would be willing to lend us his one for a bake-off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: some hopes, another of his bits of hi-fi *potentially* shot down - no way, his ego wouldn't handle it well.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

If there is a southern bake off or south midlands I will bring my SEG. Don't turn it into another Martin T battle.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have made no MartinT battle, I just take the deserved piss out of him. I am motivated to do it because he banned me from anything to do with TAS, be it bake-off or forum. Throw shit at me and I will enjoy it throwing more and smellier back :lol:

I will declare peace anytime, but I have given up on him seeing any sense. Too much ego to lose, too much reality and truth to face up to.

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:34 pm
Karnevil9 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 pm Are you a designer, stay on your subject don't tell me what works, unless you have done it. Even then a majority are talking out of their arses from an ego perspective.

wtf are you talking about?
You. Think before you post.
No you truly have lost me

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

This may be the offending statement ?

"That's Smart. Proper transformer not those Plastic encapsulated ones."

Karnevil9

valvesRus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 pm This may be the offending statement ?

"That's Smart. Proper transformer not those Plastic encapsulated ones."
Ive had two Dacs from the far east with those kind of transformers both have vibrated . I like that PSU because

1 - Had the provisions for two Voltages that i need
2 - Has traditional Transformers that as you know clamp down
3 - Looks nice & plain jane..

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have been building hi-fi for over 40 years, you don't tell me what a proper transformer is. Let it go or you know where this will end, the same place all the others have done. You are welcome to an opinion, just express it as an opinion. What you said was complete nonsense, it may have been a limited bad experience for you, but you really do not understand. The encapsulation is put on to do the opposite you suggest, and to then show nude larger torroids as an example shows complete lack of understanding of what makes transformers make acoustic noise.

No matter what you try to purvey, you are not an expert, or always right, you as others do, have opinions based on your current level of experience.

Karnevil9

ADMIN EDIT - 1st strike, ad hominem.