DAC Bake-Off - Durham - March 31st

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: DAC Bake-Off - Durham - March 31st

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 am I get irritated by patronising comments like "it wasn't disgraced". But that is just me, people still judge with their eyes and with their wallets. I did it before in the early 90's with another, UK this time, DAC bargain, reworking it and repowering it and recasing it and calling it the DACon, based on the little QED Digit DAC - WITH THEIR PERMISSION!!

It caused me lots of strife and I even had to sue Hi-fi Choice for accusing me of fraud in a review. I got about £30k out of them. I have obviously thought about doing the same with this one, but I have enough work, I may make one for me to see how much better I can make it. BUT the basic unit is sooooo good and suuuuch astonishing value I am not that motivated to do it.
How about just producing an NVA power supply version with appropriate voltage for the £4 DAC or a version for Beresford and others? Would have to be 12-15v DC for later. No effort in recasing anything required.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So do a bake-off.

The bane of bake-offs - "but such and such wasn't there", they had the option to be there and chose not to. I am certain Stan Beresford knew about the bake off and chose to ignore it - he is in TAS's and AoS's pocket.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Classicrock wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am How about just producing an NVA power supply version with appropriate voltage for the £4 DAC or a version for Beresford and others? Would have to be 12-15v DC for later. No effort in recasing anything required.
Beresford, not on your bleedin' nelly, can you imagine the forum shit that would be thrown at me. I am happy to let the Chinese shitty cheap little DAC (as it will be called, just watch) stay as a open source project. I will help with inf to anyone who wants to do it. Steve as well as Stu if he has time.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:56 am
Classicrock wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am How about just producing an NVA power supply version with appropriate voltage for the £4 DAC or a version for Beresford and others? Would have to be 12-15v DC for later. No effort in recasing anything required.
Beresford, not on your bleedin' nelly, can you imagine the forum shit that would be thrown at me. I am happy to let the Chinese shitty cheap little DAC (as it will be called, just watch) stay as a open source project. I will help with inf to anyone who wants to do it. Steve as well as Stu if he has time.
All you need to do is sell it as a 12v or 15v Dc power supply. Stan Beresford is doing his own - will see what he charges. Not noted as a slurper. Loads of Dacs and phono stages out there that would benefit from a 12v linear supply. Most of the current offerings are £250 + because they are sold through people like MCRU.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

NO!

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

On the point of VFM for a RPi3+Allo Boss, I paid 133 Euro which includes the 5v P.S & delivery. The additional 5v power supply was £8.99, Volumio was a 99 pence download.
As Paul makes clear in the review, the RPi is also a streamer, the other dacs were fed with a Sonore MicroRendu streamer with LPS. Paul can confirm the cost but it looks very much like the one on the Audiostore website at £820.
It does appear to be a low cost entry into the streaming world of digital provided you have a wifi router.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

I can't really add much to what has already been said by the other three lads and my conclusion largely mirrors theirs, however disregarding costs completely, I might just have the Allo dac ahead of the doc dac by a nose simply for its boogie factor, I loved it. Anybody want to buy a Fiio Taishan or a Teac Dac :grin:
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

You'll still need a DAC to run your CXC through (Doc-Dac ??).

If you flog the DAC's then you could run a Pi + Allo DigiOne AND the CXC through a Doc-Dac (you would have to do the CXC on optical, though).

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Not a problem Fretless I have a doc dac but need to buy a linear Psu for it and I also have a Cambridge Dac magic too. But thanks for the comments.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Toontrev wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 am ...
As Paul makes clear in the review, the RPi is also a streamer, the other dacs were fed with a Sonore MicroRendu streamer with LPS. Paul can confirm the cost but it looks very much like the one on the Audiostore website at £820.
That's the one...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/