Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 am
savvypaul wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 am
John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 am

That is much more like it. Shame that more bake offs don't play more music like that, instead of, as you put it 'girly audiophile' nonsense!

I love music, not hifi.
Absolutely, but people chose what they wanted to hear. Unfortunately, I am only 1/15th of the attendance (in number not weight), so my influence was limited.
What a shame. I won't go to the kind of bake offs where people seem obsessed with comparing kit and playing only the most flattering recordings. There seems little point, especially when any such reviews arising from this are so personal and subjective.
What the hell is wrong with personal and subjective reviews, what other real ones are there. That is the point, we are a forum where people express opinions about everything, and so it should be.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm
John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 am What a shame. I won't go to the kind of bake offs where people seem obsessed with comparing kit and playing only the most flattering recordings. There seems little point, especially when any such reviews arising from this are so personal and subjective.
It was just a few "old boys" listening to some vinyl on kit they have (possibly) not come across before.
It certainly was not, in any shape or form, a competition.
Indeed.

I enjoyed the former and was a little depressed about the idea of the latter.

For most of us there comes a point when all the noise around a couple of items becomes oppressive and leads to people not wanting to share their opinions. Which rather defeats the object.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

John Rackham
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by John Rackham »

[Message intended as reply to Dr Bunsen]

Apologies, I did not mean to cause any offence by stating my own preferences.

It is my opinion and therefore a valid one, that there is little to be learned from another person's view of a system that you are not familiar with, in a room different to your own, and from people who's tastes and preferences are another variable and may or may not be aligned with your own. I could not possibly draw any meaningful conclusion under those circumstances, however I fully understand that others might wish to.

It is the reason that I do not subscribe to hifi magazines or read their reviews, as they are in my view interesting at best, but not particularly useful.

savvypaul
Great Britain

John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:13 pm [Message intended as reply to Dr Bunsen]

It is my opinion and therefore a valid one, that there is little to be learned from another person's view of a system that you are not familiar with, in a room different to your own, and from people who's tastes and preferences are another variable and may or may not be aligned with your own. I could not possibly draw any meaningful conclusion under those circumstances, however I fully understand that others might wish to.

It is the reason that I do not subscribe to hifi magazines or read their reviews, as they are in my view interesting at best, but not particularly useful.
I felt I learnt something about the sonic character of each turntable. No cast iron conclusions but still worthwhile.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I felt I learnt something about the sonic character of each turntable. No cast iron conclusions but still worthwhile.
Possibly, but I think it would be hard to discount the different cartridges used in each case.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 pm
Possibly, but I think it would be hard to discount the different cartridges used in each case.
And the tonearms ?

John Rackham

Unread post by John Rackham »

Exactly.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:13 pm [Message intended as reply to Dr Bunsen]

Have you been to a bake-off, if not then this is just your subjective opinion, you need to go to some, they are not as you think. It depends on the gear and the set up, this time around it seems differences were not shown. Last year in the equiv event differences were as clear as a bell for everyone, both in phono stages and turntables - so what happened this year?

The process is *nothing* like magazine reviews, same as a user review is nothing like a magazine review, magazine reviews are bollocks to make money from advertisers and get you buying the mag, that is the only purpose.

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Bake offs are quite amusing, it makes you realise that people are actually Deaf

savvypaul
Great Britain

Pardon
I am in the hi-fi trade