AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Unread post by jimbob »

Okay Darius let me know once you have a more concrete date and I will absolutely try my best to attend.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

BTW darius, you say at AVi forum no crossover. Just to explain, all *possible* components are removed and replaced with what we call doping, which is physically altering the speakers to replace the need for *some* components, not all. Two things are still necessary 1/ the tweeters need protection from low frequency and that is provided by a single 3.3mfd capacitor in series with the driver 2/ different drive units always need matching to level so a series resistor is also needed. In the case of the Cubes it is a 12ohm wirewound resistor in series with the capacitor. So some would argue there is a crossover, just very simple, but we call it protection.

The other important aspect of the design is the complete lack of cabinet damping. No wadding and no pads. Anyway in the archive there are many posts about the Cube designs and how they originated, with a pointer to Roy Allison and his work on room matching, so a speaker doesn't fight the room as normal speakers do but works in sympathy with it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: I am smiling, AVi are shaking in their shoes, and already looking for ways to put the process down, which if it follows the normal path will be an attempt to discredit me in any way they can. I have had it for over 30 years.

I have watched with distaste the AVi forum trying to character assassinate Lyndsay, it is pathetic and disgraceful and people should tell them.
As predicted I and nva are now under attack at the AVi forum by Ash and JC. Someone else says I am a conman because I sell expensive cable. Well I sell very cheap ones as well and they all have about the same mark-up v cost. Some of them cost a lot to make, some don't.

All the usual on-line put downs and FUDs will be played in the game.

Oh yes and darius is now under attack for having the gall to want to compare his wonderful unbeatable AVi with anything else. As I also said clutching at straws damage limitation.

darius-lpv
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by darius-lpv »

Sorry, my mistake.. I briefly read the Cube 2 description and this where I get 'no crossover' idea from. Looking forward to hear them and as soon as I have free afternoon Andrew and Jimbob are invited.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

:dance:
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Aye! jimbob looks like some free entertainment is coming.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

As I've said on the AVi forum this is going to be a really interesting bake off and as long as everyone, myself included, keeps an open mind then it should be a fun experience. I've wanted to hear AVi speakers for a while and the same for the Hegel amp so I'm certainly looking forward to it. As a user of 'cube' speakers it will be interesting to gauge the reactions of people with no experience of them. They are quite unlike 'normal' speakers in their presentation and if you get what they do then they are quite addictive.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He needs speaker stands jimbob.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Okay I will bring mine. They are nothing special but should do the job!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well it looks like Ash will stop any mention of it on AVi forum, well unless the AVi creams the NVA then he will be all over it.