Scottish Mafia get together last weekend...

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scottish Mafia get together last weekend...

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Any filter if it is in the circuit. All filters increase source impedance, they have to by their very nature.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sov you are joining in with the blind leading the blind at AoS. the AG1500 is not a digital amplifier - there is no such thing. They are switched mode power supplies and switched mode i.e. Class D amplifiers. The only thing that is digital is the creation of the 50hz signal to be imposed on the current, and that bit is a guess by me sort of confirmed by Power Inspired.

Please don't discuss things you don't understand, there is far too much of it going on and it makes the threads just nonsense.

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

Been discussing this stuff with Roy K. Riches.
Interesting perspective, low impedance mains is all, which is where I think you are coming in Richard?

Would love to take a dedicated mains feed from a custom CU, but cant.
So balanced mains hard wired is probably my best bet I think.

Sound ok?
I have HIfi n' stuff.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I don't know what a custom CU is, as far as I know they are safety legislated and owned by the Lecky supply companies. Are there hi-fi ones :?

I am very much being a fraud in all this as I do not own a balanced mains transformer or a mains regenerator but I know what they do theoretically. I have basically been doing a similar thing for nearly 40 years. I built an amp circuit and discovered by increasing VA and in the process lowering power supply impedance the amps got better (and more expensive). then I discovered by splitting the gain stages and giving them increasing VA separate power supplies more dedicated to their function i.e. voltage or current amplification then the amps got better again. All due to lowered supply impedance.

Mains for me was about decent feed from the CU, dedicated radial and fuseless and hardwired if poss system, so really i wish I had thought about balanced and regenerated mains many years ago. It seems to have been a Yank thing with regenerators, and of course the Hi-Fi companies saw dollar signs and ripped everyone off like PS Audio.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Gazjam wrote:Been discussing this stuff with Roy K. Riches.
Interesting perspective, low impedance mains is all, which is where I think you are coming in Richard?

Would love to take a dedicated mains feed from a custom CU, but cant.
So balanced mains hard wired is probably my best bet I think.

Sound ok?
Custom CU sounds like a marketing term to me. I've put several consumer units in (and the Doc is right, the feed into the house and the main fuse is owned by the electricity supply company and can only be changed or modded by them - at least that's what happens here) but after that your in the realms of yer friendly sparky and regulations. That is, unless you mean a dedicated consumer unit (feed from the main supply into a consumer unit which is used only for hi-fi). I've got three consumer units plus an circuit breaker put in by a sparky who insisted that he had to do it otherwise he'd have to write his certificate for the whole lot. I'm thinking of 'repurposing' that to provide electricity for my music room (if I can figure a way of routing the cable from it).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

Yup, my bad. :)
dedicated consumer unit is what I meant.

That level of stuff is academic anyways as I cant do work like that in my property.
Balanced mains is the way to go for me, heard one again in my system recently and had the same obvious improvement.

So this week I shall be mostly:

Hardwired IEC's from my kit into a junction block, the block being hardwired to balanced mains unit.
The best way to connect the Balanced main to the supply is another question though, and I've been thinking about that...

Either plug it into standard socket on the wall, or...
hardwire to ring main using a junction block, in patress behind blanking plate on wall.

Been reading up this morning on mains and a fair few folk recommend this method as it eliminates a bottleneck without really reducing the safety factor.
All the kit is individually fused, the ring main cabling is 2.5mm protected by RCBO so it would be fine.

Just trying to maximise my mains setup as much as I can, appreciate any comments you guys might have.

Almost there.
Ta.
I have HIfi n' stuff.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Given that they used to connect electric cookers via a captive flex, I'd think that'd be safer than a plug (plus obviously it takes connections and a fuse out of the circuit so make it simpler).
Are you connecting into a ring or a spur? I'm assuming ring.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

A ring Terry.

cheers.
I have HIfi n' stuff.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

terrybooth wrote: Are you connecting into a ring or a spur? I'm assuming ring.
Just to be nit picky and pedantic I should point out that technically a spur is a branch taken off a ring. I think what you are referring to is a radial circuit.

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

stop complicating it Richard :lol:

Regarding plugging the BPS into the wall or hardwiring it, I've been re-reading some of your earlier replies with a (now) clearer idea of whats what Safety/fuse/audio benefit wise...
The UK mains IS different from elsewhere isn't it?

Going to hardwire the BPS into the mains.
Lots of protection elsewhere to keep me worry-free.
No point strangling the sound at source.

Thanks Guys, think I'm good to go.

Once its installed; In the next episode - plumb in an AG500 and we see how that goes.
I have HIfi n' stuff.