Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Engypoos
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Unread post by Engypoos »

You do know..... What I can do with these hands.
Don't ya ?

joe

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 am
UNEXPLAINED LAUGHTER ('89, uk)

Quite good made-for-tv movie.
A cynical journalist (Diana Rigg) and her female publisher friend vacation in Wales in a remote cottage. She hears laughter in the cottage and surrounding landscape whilst others do not. When she asks a local if the cottage has a history or is haunted she gets the ambiguous answer that most cottages in Wales are haunted.
Not so much a scarry story - and certainly not horror - but gentle comedy-ominousness , if you can imagine such a combination. The errie laughter is almost incidental to the story here. Nice mood and you just gotta use an oboe in an slow-going, atmospheric supernatural story. Some intelligent dialogue too.
Based on an excellent novella by the late Alice Thomas Ellis.

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

THE LEFTOVERS SEASON 3 (FINAL SEASON) 2017 us

Life in a small town after many of its residents vanished in a Rapture-like event.

In an instant, 140 million people vanished from the face of the earth. 2% of the world's population just disappears - all at same time.
3 years later, series does focus on specific families effected in a town called Miracle.
There was this French film -title of which Blind Child forgets now: maybe "the Vanishing" - where a picturesque mountain town's children all disappear simultaneously and little or no reason is ever given.
This series demands your attention and it plays with you as to which portions are relevant and which not.
Confusing is the word, so, to be less confused and inundated, I strongly suggest you watch these 3 seasons without diversion and ONE AFTER THE OTHER.

Much of the film APPEARS to be given over to the theme of how easily masses are lead to believe/are manipulated to believe in the unrational. How in times of crisis they desperately,foolhardily cling to comforting beliefs - like a God that judges - however silly,diffuse and impractible. Anything to account for something cosmic and larger than humanity ; that which utterly challanges meaning.

Engypoos

That series had the most pathetic cop out ending I have ever seen.

"I got this blerk to make a time machine and then it was all ok "
THE END ..

Bab..cacka ...and jobs !

Canada

EXACTLY true, Engy.

(But I did not want to spoil it for the others....like you just did.)

That final episode, Book of Ruth - explains NOTHING about the vanishing millions and - last minute - almost brings in this fuckass bit (having no relevance to anything coming beefwhore) about this machine that brings you to a parallel universe and then - on Ruth's request alone - the inventor (now in that parallel universe, of which, I should add, we are shown nothing) invents a return machine. (Yep, apparently Ruth is the only one wanting to go back. But at this point YOU ARE SO THOROUGHLY FUCKING ANGRY AT THIS TREATMENT OF YOURSELF, THE WATCHER, WHO HAS STRUGGLED THROUGH 3 SEASONS OF THIS and you say, "Fuggit."

So ,wot is the novelist saying? That millions of people went into this little machine AT THE SAME TIME? :hbs:

Talk about slapped-together FUCKING RUBBISH!

You guys should be paying me for wading through all this cinema-SHIT, so's yews dont have to.

Engypoos

What's the worst ending in a series or filum then , Wallesch ?
Sopranos was a shit bag ending right enough.

Canada

Dunno.

(Yer arskin' an owd man to think hard..)

Jack The Fag series had a toterllay discombobbylaytin' ending.
I never would have guessed that Jack were a homosector

Engypoos

What ?
Any gent called Jack would be a nipper dipper , man !
Sure fire !
Everybody knows that , Wallasch ya old fool.

Canada

Peter Ibbetson (1935)

Love takes on Time and Space and Death in this sentimental romance/semi-fantasy.

Two childhood sweethearts, Peter & Mimsy , sharing a beautiful garden in Paris are parted and lose contact . The girl becomes Dutchess of Towers at a country estate in Yorkshire. Peter becomes an up-and-coming architect in London.
By chance, the Duke of Towers wants his stables rebuilt and hires Peter to oversee the construction for 2 months. He falls in love with the Duke's wife.
They are at first unaware. Then they begin to share the same dream. Then they remember their childhood.
The Duke pulls a gun on Peter when he deems his wife unfaithful and Peter throws a chair at him in self defence, killing the Duke. The rest of Peter's life is spent broken in a Yorkshire dungeon but he is in contact with Mimsy through these dreams.

Blind Child thought this was very well filmed, but critics seem to disagree.

Gary Cooper is stiff as ever, but the picturesque sets are wonderful and the dream/heaven segments with difused rays of light, really work.

Canada

TALE OF TALES (2015, ITALY)

Tewthree kings , 'un a womanizer, the other ,daffy, played by Toby Jones (the only actor I recognized in the cus list) in this superb, dark fantasy based on 17th-century Italian fairytales. (maybe read Italo Calvino's wonderful "Italian Fairytales" book as a compliment ter this film.)

Bawdy, dark.Fractured an' cruel - in the woy of true furry tile.

Definitely not fer children.

Roight awoy yaouw wull see this issunt the asshole-American treatment of fairytale.

In supernatural-shoite film comen ert lately that the'er is naaa depth, that nothen is explained. Well the'er am gapes of explanation eya too, but it adds ter the mystery an' surrealness. (the "surreal" is summat that American directors am incapable of handlen.)

One rarely sees a film done in the north of Italy. Arrica ,I fink is the province. (An italian once told me the mountainous north owsen many isolated villages. Yaouw goo frum 'un ter anover an' the woy of speaken changes!)The scenery is astounden. This film is a visual treat, Jimmehs!