Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Re: Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

BONE TOMAHAWK (us ,2016?)

sHERRIF AND 3 MEN GO OUT INTO THE MOUNTAIN WILDLANDS TO FIND A COMMUNITY OF FLESH-EATING TROGLADitE-Indians and eradicate them.

You suck on Sammy, okay?

Canada

ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW (2014, us?)

i WOULD LIKE TO THINK OF THIS FILM BEING MADE IN fRANCE, BUT IT ISN'T. i SEEM TO RECALL THAT fRANCE REFUSED dISNEYLAND INTO ITS CULTURE.

Clearly, being filmed completely in Florida's Disneyland, it is a stab at the artificiality and manufactured-smile of American crap-culture icons - oh yeah,speaking of that, Stan Lee just died. Disneyland: culture where everything is for sale, even the facade buildings (if you have the bucks to buy.)

Can someone please enlighten me as to what this film is about?

It is completely shot in black and white (as if to state the two-dimensionality of the Disneyland experience.)
The last shots show the crowds happily milling (at the front gate?) , but the shot is cleverly made in such a stark way - and with the serious dark-classical music - to bring , to my mind at least, the war footage of masses of Auschwich/Belsen prisoners.

A father of two children just learns that he has lost his job. He does not tell the wife and embarks on a one-day fantasy park spree with the family.

A good 3/4s of the film is the family going to the various Disneyland attractions/rides. The black and white filming and the speed seem to build tension in the film watcher - even though nothing really bad happens - but you're sensing all the time that IT WILL.

The father begins obsessively stalking two pretty French tourists, dragging the kids to wherever these girls go. Finally one girl approaches him and seems to be offering-up. He declines,saying it can only come to something bad. She replies that it will be bad either way and spurts through her ugly braces saliva all over his face and there is some sorta deal about "catching cat disease". Later back at the Disneyland hotel , he is vomitting, shitting and spitting out hairballs till he dies. the End.

Wot the fook???

And there is this bizarre 15 minutes in the Epcot Centre where he is taken prisoner by this robot scientist which apears to be feeding on his Disneyworld imagination.

The film ends with the two French girls with fairy wings like fucking demon-Tinkerbells in front of a bland wall of tourist apartment complex.

Maybe somewhere in the Bonus Cuts some of this surrealist bullshit is explained...but I did not bother.

Oh yeah - isn't there a Tomorrow-Land within Disneyland??? If so , that would explain a bit: that if this is the only media-masszombie-ism tomorrow offers us, then......

Canada

SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT ('74 us)

Not too shabby, I suppose.

Man inherits mansion that used to be an asylum.

This budget flick ran the drive-ins and was immediately forgotten. But became a cultfilm after Elvira's tv show.

Was restored from 35mm but the movie still is crackly in places. :hbs:

Get down Jimmeh !

Canada

MARY SHELLEY (2018)

This was good. Not British but feeling very British.

Suck on Sammy's doodle,audiofool.

Canada

The thing about this Mary Shelley film, wot they missed entirely is this: the importance of the weather:

Mary Wolsoncraft Godwin, daughter of author William Godwin (who wrote one of me fav novels Caleb Williams and which is way better written than Frankenstein), poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, Doctor Polidori, Lord Byron and his mistress Claire Godwin are in Geneva, Switzerland. Byron has rented a villa.
They are bored out of their heads because IT HAS BEEN RAINING SEEMING INTERMINABLY FOR DAYS ON END. So then Byron puts up the challenge that they each write a ghost story. (In the end end, basically none do).
The novices Claire,Mary and Polidori all produce, but the lazy poets do not - well Byron writes some shit that no one cares to know of even today.
So history is made: Mary has written the first sci-fi novel ever, Frankenstein, and Polidori, "The Vampyre" (this 70 years beefwhore Bram Stoker's Dracula!). It should be mentioned that Polidori's "friend" ,the right bastard Byron, puts HIS name to The Vampyre and poor Poly-dolly tries to fight him in court but dies at 29 knowing it is futile to go up against the Priviledged. Also Frankenstein first pressing is put down to an unknown/uncredited author - people are led to believe it is Shelley's work, but later he lets it be known it is the work of his wife, Mary.

If it were not for that constant rain ,perhaps these two great novels would not have been written. That is why the weather should have been stressed in this film. The writer/director did not do their homework.

Byron wrote a piece called "Darkness" and that is apt cos:
1816 happened to be the year that an Indonesian volcano erupted - way more powerful than Krakatoa or any other that followed. This cast so much dust into the atmosphere that there was A DECADE of global COLD and much rain . Crops failed, there were mass population migrations. Particularly the northern hemisphere was affected. England and Switzerland would have felt it.

Oh yeah, there is a fine film ,made, I guess in the 90's???, which atempts, like this one, the genesis of the writing of Frankenstein. Micheal Sarazin plays the monster, David McCallum, Doctor Frankenstein and James Mason, Polydori.

Canada

BROKEN (UK, 2018)

Sean Bean as troubled priest.

Canada

A HORSEMAN RIDING BY (uk, '78, 13 EPISODES)

This is real good.
And you know wot? A BBC series which I never ever even heard of.

Nigel Havers (The Charmer) stars as a lieutenant returning from the war to find his father's junk business has left him a small fortune. He wants to buy a valley in Devon and a rundown mansion that has been empty for 10 years. There are 5 farm holdings on the land for him to collect rents from.
Already 5 prospective buyers have gone thru but all fled when they saw the arrears the property is in.
The property manager (played by same actor wot played Lord Peter Whimsy's manservant) is the son of a property manager of the same estate and is delighted to see that this young man appears to be sincere in wanting to return the valley and mansion back to former glory days. But its not an easy road to take.

Excellent series written by same author who penned "To Serve Them All My Days" (another fine BBC series.)

Shit title though since he isn't merely "riding by" - he is in for the long haul.

Canada

LEAP IN THE DARK series, episode "A Night To Kill A King".

Haha! Fukkin' shoite.

I loike Alan Garner children's novels, but this drags balzac.

http://sciencefiction365.blogspot.com/2 ... night.html

joe

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:18 pm
So history is made: Mary has written the first sci-fi novel ever, Frankenstein
Well, apart from Gulliver's Travels, written about 120 years previously.

Canada

:Bllocks:

Gulliver is social/political satire along the lines of Moore's Utopia maybe.
Nothing to do with sci-fi.
If you stretch the point, I suppose its safe to pidgeonhole it fantasy. And fantasy is not sci-fi.