Stupid, lazy, unimaginative films

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Stupid, lazy, unimaginative films

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I watched the 2017 Tom Cruise version of The Mummy. Not as lazy and unimaginative as Transformers, but still another piece of stupid film-making.

When the love-interest died, I always knew she'd be brought back to life again. It was that kind of film. Come on Hollywood, you can do better than that. When someone dies, keep them dead. Unless it's Jesus.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

You're watching The Mummy but you want dead people to stay dead ?? :-? :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Yes, when the reason they're brought back to life is because the film-makers are too lazy to come up with another love interest character for the sequel.

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

It's many years since I've had to watch children's films*, but I still chuckle at the memory of my wife, after we watched the first Harry Potter film with our younger daughter, complaining that the film was 'unrealistic'. When I asked her in what way, she said 'They sent some of the children for detention overnight in a dark forest. That would never happen'. The flying around on broomsticks, magic spells and talking animals were fine, but detention in a forest? That's just crazy.

* The very worst, in every way, was 'Scooby-Doo: The Movie', a 30 minute cartoon stretched into 86 seemingly interminable minutes of live action.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I honestly don't know why you guys are so picky. It's just a bit of light entertainment not a documentary. If you sit looking for stuff to pick holes in then I'd say MOST films will fall short. Just let it wash over and enjoy it, keep the scrutinising to the heavyweights. 8-) :P
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Exactly, pick the bones out of Newsnight :-)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I always thought that Lord of The Rings was a bit far-fetched too.........

:lol: :lol:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Lindsayt
Nauru

I can go with films that are highly fantastical. As long as they follow their own internal logic / premise. For example Pan's Labyrinth.

What I can't go with is films like the latest Transformers that make no sense whatsoever on any level.

Pan's Labyrinth is an imaginative, well put together, example of film-making. Transformers is a stupid, dumb, lazy, unimaginative, sloppy piece of film making.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Did you really not expect it to be??

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Pan's Labyrinth is a great film but I don't think many 8 year old lads would put up with the subtitles: whereas I think they would love the transformers.

Also In Pan's Labyrinth there is a scene where Captain Vidal's dinner guests arrive in a rainstorm. The men are using automatic umbrellas which weren't invented until the 1960s. The film is set in 1944. That ruined the whole thing for me!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)