A new toy for me.

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

A new toy for me.

Unread post by slinger »

I've just bought one of these http://www.lg.com/uk/blu-ray-dvd-player ... ray-player (eighty quid from Amazon) as I decided it was time I started to uprate the home cinema system. It has the added advantage of built in wi-fi which is relatively unusual at this price point. Many players quote wi-fi as a feature and fail to mention that you actually need to buy an add-on dongle to make it work. Caveat emptor.
As I mentioned in another post I've got a copy of the ubiquitous JRiver Media Center lurking on one of my hard drives so this plus the wi-fi means I now have the capability to stream videos from my computer straight into the 5:1 system in the living room. It was a doddle to set up, and even if I hadn't had the JRiver software the player comes with a "light" version of Nero MediaHome, which does the same sort of job. So, streaming videos and 3D Blu-ray capability all for £80.00. I'm a happy bunny.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Gromit
Has thanked: 0

Re: A new toy for me.

Unread post by Gromit »

Looks like a nice purchase - and LG stuff has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. A friend of ours has just bought one of their LED tellies and it's an impressive bit of kit.

Strangely enough (must be the time of year!) we bought a new BD player last thursday, a Panny BDT220 to go with our Panasonic plasma - fabulous picture and sound (I just run the digital out from the tv into a Fiio dac) and a darn sight quicker/smoother than the Samsung BD player we've had for the past 3 years which has given up playing a fair few discs of late. The Wi-fi on the Panasonic player is fun too - never seen Facebook on a 42" screen before (yes I'm shallow!!). :D
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Gromit wrote:Looks like a nice purchase - and LG stuff has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. A friend of ours has just bought one of their LED tellies and it's an impressive bit of kit
We've got a 42" LG plasma, and I'm very impressed with the picture quality although that wasn't really a deciding factor in choosing the BDP, I just read loads of reviews and the LG came out top for quality v price. Your new Panasonic was on my shortlist too.
I'm using a Yamaha RX-V373 amp, which has the ever popular Burr Brown DACs and is feeding little Wharfedale MovieStar 60+ speakers at the moment. Next comes the speaker upgrade, but that may be a while off. I'm trying to decide whether it's better to buy a "matched set" of speakers, or to build a set around a decent centre speaker and my current Wharfedale Achromatic 8" sub. At the moment I'm leaning towards the latter.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

A wee follow up - I've just bought a Mission 77c centre speaker via eBay. It's an interesting beast to say the least as it has a 'phased array' (Mission's description, not mine) of three 25mm tweeters set vertically between a 130mm bass speaker and a 130mm passive radiator. As soon as the wall mounts arrive from Amazon I'll be able to give it a test run. I'm getting very impatient. I hate having new toys and not being allowed to play with them. :lol:

After reading about how underrated JPW speakers are in the fora here I'm now wondering how some mini monitors would fit in as rears, or even mains. Has anyone tried them in that sort of configuration?

shevans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by shevans »

slinger wrote:A wee follow up - I've just bought a Mission 77c centre speaker via eBay. It's an interesting beast to say the least as it has a 'phased array' (Mission's description, not mine) of three 25mm tweeters set vertically between a 130mm bass speaker and a 130mm passive radiator.
Just over ten year ago I bought one along with a pair of Mission 774 floor standers and some 77DS rears, this was when I was contracting and had more money than sense, it was however a very good Home Cinema setup. Darby's of St. Albans if anyone recalls them.

I sold the 77c on eBay only to find negative feedback stating it was faulty, the muppet insisted that one bass speaker was broken :roll:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

shevans wrote:...I sold the 77c on eBay only to find negative feedback stating it was faulty, the muppet insisted that one bass speaker was broken :roll:
DOH! I wonder how long he spent with an ear pressed first against the speaker and then the radiator before he came to that conclusion...and why? :doh:

This one cost me £51.00 plus a tenner p&p. and the seller declared a problem with the unit in the advert. The Mission badge is missing the 'M' which I think I can live with at that price. :lol:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've now 'won' a pair of JPW Mini Monitors on eBay for £25.00. That's my rear speakers sorted.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Another swoop on eBay has resulted in my buying a pair of Eltax HT-2 "Bipolar" speakers for just over forty quid so they will take over as the rears (obviously) and I'll probably try promoting the JPWs to the front.