English TV Shows

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Anesthetise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Poland

Re: English TV Shows

Unread post by Anesthetise »

I've heard about pidgin English in a Polish journalist show (very good one by the way). In fact, it's much easier to understand for slavic languages speakers, e.g. Polish, that don't know English at all, if spoken slowly.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

At least you don't have the problem my wife does with a completely different alphabet and different phonetic rules.

Anesthetise
Poland

All slavic phonetics are very similar to Polish (which is slavic language), your wife has grown up in Russia = both are slavic languages. The only problem is cyrrylic alphabet, but we don't really have a problem with understanding a simple russian texts if a phonetic translator is used. Very helpful thing, Russian interntet is HUGE.
It's not something to be proud of, but after 11 years of having English lessons at school I realised that most of it was learned through skype calls while playing games with internet people, watching TV Shows/films and speaking to my uncle. My auntie went to England 9 years ago after 3 years of school English, now she can't speak Polish :lol:
Also, many people consider Polish as the hardest *live* language to learn, just after Traditional Chinese and a few Chinese dialects. It's a fact that most of us can't even speak it properly...
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Speaking as a someone from the north of England :D , the use of language is far more important than accent .
So essential viewing is

State of play
Clocking off
Holding on
Boys from the blackstuff
All of the above are awesome BBC dramas available on DVD.

And
Absolutely bloody anything by Stephen Poliakoff, again mostly bbc and available on DVD .

Anesthetise
Poland

Thank you guys, now I've got more than enough for a year or even more :)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Top Gear and Match of the Day are the funniest regular British TV programmes for me. Top Gear for the buffoonery. Match of the Day for wathching teams that I don't like lose.

The Ryder Cup was hilarious watching too.

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

New show on BBC 4 at present about Sound called Sound Waves might be worth watching they seem to say Voice shapes sound more than instruments