2023 WAM show announced!

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
savvypaul
Great Britain

2023 WAM show announced!

Unread post by savvypaul »

From The WAM:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have good news!

After a large number of visits, we have a hotel booked, exclusive to the show.

The hotel will be the Holiday Inn Barnsley but it is actually the other side of the M1 in Dodworth, this is right on Junction 37 with great access, some hotel details: https://bit.ly/hotel-details

Google Maps: use post code S75 3JT

Our main selection criteria were;
Whole hotel booking affordable
Room rates within affordable range
A better hotel than previously
For #1 we decided to stay under 100 rooms (this discounted many on the list)
For #1 and #2 this ruled out most places anywhere near Birmingham / Coventry (NEC, Convention Centre) as far too expensive
For #3 this ruled out Britannia chain (we are aware of another that has taken the Home Office deal)
Last Sunday the team visited the hotel again and signed a contract, we have today placed a significant deposit for the 2023 Show. So, it WILL happen.

As we indicated earlier, we have decided to move upmarket to avoid Home Office deals (our chosen hotel has informed us that they have already refused the Home Office scheme).

Availability of a whole hotel was an issue yet again (and Spring 2023 is very crowded with events / holidays) so unfortunately it will have to be in October, Spring 2023 is already very busy for the hotel, this hotel is extremely popular and regularly full every single week night.

The 2023 show will be on the Sunday 29th October – the usual Saturday set up. The good news is that weekend the clocks go back so you have an extra hour in bed, or extra drinking of course 😊

This a really nice 77 bedroom, 3-star hotel, very used to being the host to large events.
There are no single rooms, couple of bridals but the rest are doubles or twins. Bedrooms spread over the first and second floors and are of a very consistent size / shape (somewhat like Kegworth, see sample floor plan below).
Easy to find your way around as no weird side corridors or random numbering!
Regular Round Table and several Army Reunions take place here. They also hosted the 2022 Labour Party conference, so they know how to scale up catering and very importantly bar stocks.
The hotel has a level entrance, very large lobby and two lifts to the bedrooms on floor 1 and 2
Free car park (NO Parking Eye control) holds 250 cars with free on-street parking outside also. Looks like the adjacent Bannatyne Health Club car park has cameras so we MUST avoid this.
Not a shock to learn they have several large bars! The main one is excellent.
Free Wi-Fi throughout
Nearby there is an IBIS Styles hotel right on the motorway junction if extra sleep rooms are required once we exhaust the contracted 77 rooms, we would ask people to book with us first as this helps our finances, we used 73 rooms at Stoke. The IBIS is about a 10-minute walk away.
The is a small Budgens supermarket, a pub, a convenience store, a Fish & Chip shop - all just before our hotel entrance.
Also, under 10-minute walk into Dodworth village to 2 curry houses (one looks quite large), a small Co-Op in that area as well.
Dodworth railway station is small, but with connecting trains to Sheffield and Doncaster we believe. A 10-minute walk to the hotel from here.
There will be a good breakfast in the restaurant and a 2 course exhibitors’ dinner on Saturday night in one of the ballrooms that also has its own sizeable bar. We expect better food!
Whilst this hotel is a little further north it is very accessible from the motorway and about the same driving time as Stoke Hotel was from the M25/M1 junction.
Pricing will be announced on here over the next few weeks as we are discussing with a small number of trusted trade exhibitors to help defer some of the show costs. More to follow on this, please be patient.

Next step will be Paul / maverick posting a sheet for people to enter their entry requests and another sheet for sleep only room requests. Note that this is an expression of interest only, no financial commitment at this stage. As usual priority will be given on allocation to exhibitors and show staff. PLEASE NOTE: It will be important that we know who wants a room on Friday night as our contract presently only covers the rooms for Saturday and Sunday nights so these will need to be added to our booking to secure rooms.

Hotel has doubles and twins, no singles. Rooms can ONLY be booked through the Show Team NOT with the hotel, please do not try.

Full PL and cancellation insurance is being arranged as the next job by Paul.

The team visited very many hotels are really excited about being a position to book this nice venue; we hope that the HiFi community, particularly our great members, are as supportive as ever and we have a fantastic show.

There will be a nominated show charity as usual.

Many thanks in advance,
The 2023 Show Team

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/wam- ... ed.115250/
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:27 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: 2023 WAM show announced!

Unread post by savvypaul »

HFS has funds set aside from payments from classified ads to subsidise any established members here who would like to exhibit at the WAM show. You don't need to be exhibiting NVA kit. It's a very enjoyable show and it would be great for us to have a meet up.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

It's close enough to call it the Penistone Show.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:25 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

That's 40 mins from me. I'll have a think about going. Won't be exhibiting though. Would be good to meet a few people.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:39 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:44 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:37 pm That's 40 mins from me. I'll have a think about going. Won't be exhibiting though. Would be good to meet a few people.
About the same distance as the Bristol show for me. Have never bothered but am giving it some thought next month now I have a rail card.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:41 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:44 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

As I did in 2022 I will have a room for the show but I will be bringing a different system to this one . I love this show and all that the weekend brings . I get to listen to new music talk with people who are not looking at me strange when I mention odd things like reclockers . This year I am going to bring along a system built around a pair of Active Linn Sara 9 speakers . I have not decided yet if I will leave it just as it is with 2 x Fidele Audio Upgraded Quad 405 power amplifiers or I will substitute my 2 x NVA P30 amps instead . I will probably in the end bring both and then see which one sounds best in the room when set up . I would encourage anyone thinking about it to get your name down as the list for exhibitors is open now . You can register your interest but you are not committed to anything .

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/wam- ... ts.115280/
These users thanked the author Bencat57 for the post (total 3):
savvypaul (Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:41 pm) • Hemmo1969 (Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:23 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:46 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I went for the first time last year and I thought it was absolutely wonderful. Even though the Stoke hotel had seen better days there was an ever present feel good factor. The systems on display and their owners were so varied that the term eclectic doesn't them justice. There really is something for everyone
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 4):
savvypaul (Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:31 pm) • Bencat57 (Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:41 pm) • Lindsayt (Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:25 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:46 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

Unread post by Nihil Sleighride »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:19 pm It's close enough to call it the Penistone Show.
And for anyone into craft beer it's well worth jumping on the train at Dodworth and nipping to Penistone to check out
https://untappd.com/v/penistone-tap-and ... e/10464197
These users thanked the author Nihil Sleighride for the post:
Hemmo1969 (Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 pm)
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Nihil Sleighride wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:56 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:19 pm It's close enough to call it the Penistone Show.
And for anyone into craft beer it's well worth jumping on the train at Dodworth and nipping to Penistone to check out
https://untappd.com/v/penistone-tap-and ... e/10464197
Do you visit Sir?

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

Unread post by Nihil Sleighride »

Yeah, we live in Penistone so it would be rude not to. The owner is great and can brew some good beer
These users thanked the author Nihil Sleighride for the post:
Lindsayt (Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:06 pm)
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS