from rubber band to direct drive

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

from rubber band to direct drive

Unread post by jayman67 »

well im very happy and dont miss the lp12,the snobbery,the worry that if you fart near it you've gotta take it to a linn dealer for a complete set up,after all no one else can set them up!

here's my thoughts so far,
the sumiko headshell has made a big difference to the sound quality,which wasn't that bad with the pressed coke can headshell that came with the arm.
cartridge set up is a breeze with the removable headshell,no more faffing around with the ittoks fixed headshell,another plus point.

the sound of the tt is different to the lp12,the biggest area of improvement to my ears is the bass and midrange, it has what i suppose you would say is slam and tight bass,the bass drum on the wall lp sounds like its being stamped on where as on the linn its sounds quieter with less punch.the pioneer has more presence.

where the linn is better is higher up,someone mentioned the linn would sound more airier and i think they were right,although that could be down to the sony tonearm fitted to the pioneer. :epop:
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

jammy395

Re: from rubber band to direct drive

Unread post by jammy395 »

Cheers Jay, nice write up........ :think:

But imho the head shell cop out is naf.........A load o fukin bollox.
You just aint got a good cart.

Still, glad its better than the outgoing mod....that outcome was never in doubt.

:clap: :guiness;

jayman67

HA HA,well it depends on what you call good and what price bracket your thinking of.
what cartridge do you use?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Jammy the standard Techy headshell has more mass and rigidity than that tin plate abortion he had on the arm. It is just that the Sumiko is a stage better, you really should try one.

jammy395

The.......Creme de la Creme of Moving Magnets.

Say no more, Nudge nudge, Wink wink. ;)

:mrgreen:

jayman67

at95? :grin:

jammy395

Jay, wash yer mouth out........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wouldnt have that tat on me wee nice's Fisher Price TT....... :naughty:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Jayman, would you describe your Pioneer as sounding like a grown-up version of your Linn?

As if the LP12 is pre-pubescent, whilst the PLC-1700 is an adult?

Sometimes I wonder if the LP12 has a ringing-bell colouration (ringing bell like a small hand held bell) that produces a hypnotic effect / sweet sounding cymbals / acoustic guitars? A sugary / sacharine coating to the upper frequencies. It's the sort of sound that works well with Hotel California, but not so well with Life in the Fast Lane.

jayman67

i know exactly what you mean with the 2 eagles tracks :grin: i get that with 'Vera' on pink floyds the wall lp,
its sometimes painful to listen to the last bit where the orchestra kicks in,listening to it on the lp12 has me jumping up to turn the volume down which is annoying as 'comfortable numb' is the next track,on the pioneer is fine.
kate bush's wurthing heights is another problem track for the linn,i will listen tomorrow and see how the pioneer sounds.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Judging by the pics, your Linn had slackened off (no top plate dimples as 1980's ones needed) and the mat had shrunk and gone mishapen, a recipe for sloppier-than-normal sonics - I didn't see the belt, but they go shiny. Still absolutely no match for the Pioneer that doesn't need all this 'stuff,' I'm sure, but the LP12 you had wasn't at its best ime.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...