Is owning a turntable worth it?

All general audio posts go here.
Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is owning a turntable worth it?

Unread post by Welder »

I’ve had both. There is just something about a turntable front end that does something that digital doesn’t. I can’t say it’s necessarily better, but it is different.
There are some albums that seemed to lose their magic when I went completely digital, Seventh Wave Sci Fi, for example; others just sounded better on digital format.
It’s that word format that ended up tipping the scales for me. I had a lot of albums and I had been, and generally am, careful with all formats. CDs aren’t indestructible, file based audio can and does suffer from all those computer horror stories; wiped by accident, tracks lost by being accidentally dropped in the wrong folder etc, but scratch a record and it’s fucked, bend a stylus and it’s money; I don’t know anyone who hasn’t done one. The more you play vinyl the worse it gets. You really do need a record cleaning system and even then you won’t get that digital silence.
You can’t easily back up vinyl unless you buy more than one copy and a new copy if you can get one is the only solution. I have three identical 1 TB drives two of which I swap in and out of the system and one kept somewhere else in case of theft or drive fail. I do not want to lose the two thousand and something albums I have so carefully collected over the past 45 years.
I wouldn’t go back to vinyl now.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Welder wrote:I’ve had both. There is just something about a turntable front end that does something that digital doesn’t. I can’t say it’s necessarily better, but it is different.
There are some albums that seemed to lose their magic when I went completely digital, Seventh Wave Sci Fi, for example; others just sounded better on digital format.
It’s that word format that ended up tipping the scales for me. I had a lot of albums and I had been, and generally am, careful with all formats. CDs aren’t indestructible, file based audio can and does suffer from all those computer horror stories; wiped by accident, tracks lost by being accidentally dropped in the wrong folder etc, but scratch a record and it’s fucked, bend a stylus and it’s money; I don’t know anyone who hasn’t done one. The more you play vinyl the worse it gets. You really do need a record cleaning system and even then you won’t get that digital silence.
You can’t easily back up vinyl unless you buy more than one copy and a new copy if you can get one is the only solution. I have three identical 1 TB drives two of which I swap in and out of the system and one kept somewhere else in case of theft or drive fail. I do not want to lose the two thousand and something albums I have so carefully collected over the past 45 years.
I wouldn’t go back to vinyl now.
I think you make a very good point about backups. Ripping does take time and one must look after one's data well. If anything, this makes a great argument for high quality streaming services, because that responsibility falls to them.

Last night I was listening to Tidal via my MS Surface tablet to my DAC with the Cambridge USB 2 drivers at 96 khz quality. You really can tell the difference between the masters used for the digital files. Tidal HIFI is excellent though.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Fretless wrote:Whatever happened to the autochanger ??

Maybe Linn should market one as an upgrade - they'd make a fortune !!

The Doc gave me a wreck only really fit for parting out and subsequently the dump. I love Duals, so brought it back to life - and they are excellent for single records too -

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

That looks like fun Dave........ :clap:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I only had a handful of records by the time I got "Pinked". I now have about 200 - 250 and growing, slowly, I'm not a prolific buyer.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Autochangers - my old double LP of Joni Mitchell's 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' had odd side numbering. The first LP had sides 1 & 4 and the second platter was sides 2 & 3. I eventually worked out that this was so that when the two LP's were played on a autochanger deck then you would only have to flip them once.

Ripping CD's: the advantage of having a collection of discs is that should your PC, HDD or NAS get broken or corrupted, then you can still re-rip from the originals - and you still have the booklets/artwork to gaze lovingly at. I play from a network disc but also have a backup of the whole collection on a USB HDD for safety's sake.
Also I have now ripped most of my collection at least 3 times: started with lossy Ogg Vorbis (better than MP3), then into Apple Lossless when I had Ipods plugged into docks on various installations and finally into FLAC after I got a network setup running. You do notice a difference in the sound of ALAC and FLAC, even though they are both 'lossless' formats - FLAC sounds clearer and more dynamic; this might be down to Apple's own encoding and decoding processes, the rip-engine in iTunes is not the best either.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:[
The Doc gave me a wreck only really fit for parting out and subsequently the dump. I love Duals, so brought it back to life - and they are excellent for single records too -

The difference between singles and LPs is that singles have, or had, a ribbed area between centre hole and run out grove to ensure that the disc/s on top were driven properly, also left a space between the recorded surfaces, I have never seen anything similar on an LP.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Makes a mockery of VTA eh! :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

jammy395 wrote:That looks like fun Dave........ :clap:
Too much crap in my life, but yeah, I love Duals, for all my many sins.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Art Vandelay

Unread post by Art Vandelay »