Macca's System Blog

All general audio posts go here.
Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Macca's System Blog

Unread post by Macca »

Fretless wrote:My LS5 is running in an all-NVA rig and so has the maximum 'synergy', .
As is mine - P90SA, SSC interconnects and A30 Mk2 amp

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I have 'Macca's' BMU (I watched as the Doc opened the box when he received it back to check condition and it then went straight to my car)... I've now had the 5m set of LS5 for nearly a year and tried it with a good few amps and speakers now, so can vouch for the fact that it works fine and sounds excellent, to me at any rate.

Tests on the XTZ stated that it could sound a touch 'transistory' - which I take as a bit 'literal' and 'stark' and much as I deeply admired the 'finely cut crystal glass' quality of the OTL I had, there was no bass power and blown fuses/fireworks if I tried to push it. The NVA amps I have tried just don't do it this way and if a speaker/room combination likes the former, then the lack of 'glare' in NVA power amps might possibly do what martin's found. I still feel it's not the amps or cables and look forward to reading the results of the Doc's suggestion.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Fretless wrote:My LS5 is running in an all-NVA rig and so has the maximum 'synergy', if anything it is too clear, accurate and revealing as the recent problems with my speakers have revealed.

I certainly wouldn't want anything less transparent. A phenomenally good speaker cable.
So how did the tweeter doping go in the end.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

After the third spray with Plastidip the tweeters now have a sweetly rounded tone and the shrill distortion is gone. My impression is that they were overloaded by too much high frequency information and began to create some interference and dirty harmonics.

Was worried that I had overdone the spraying but the speakers remain clear and detailed, far easier to listen to and enjoy.
Thanks again for the 'sound' advice, Doc. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

SCUSE......But is this a fukin hi fi forum....or a fukin hairdressers....?

Plastidip .....makes a 3 bob speaker into a 100 bob speaker my fukin arse........discuss.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:.

Tests on the XTZ stated that it could sound a touch 'transistory' - which I take as a bit 'literal' and 'stark' and much as I deeply admired the 'finely cut crystal glass' quality of the OTL I had, there was no bass power and blown fuses/fireworks if I tried to push it. The NVA amps I have tried just don't do it this way and if a speaker/room combination likes the former, then the lack of 'glare' in NVA power amps might possibly do what martin's found. I still feel it's not the amps or cables and look forward to reading the results of the Doc's suggestion.
I was only fully happy with the XTZ power amp when I put SSC from CD to pre and pre to power.

That was the big jump from okay to awesome. Regretably only one other person heard the system when I had it like this prior to the amp going bad. I recall actually feeling disapointed that I had 'cracked it' and this would be an end to my box swapping. Little did I know....
I still have a feeling that if I swapped the LS5 for the Chord Odyssey 2 it would solve the issue. Obviously I can't test that theory in case it makes the amp unstable. Hopefully the LS1 will show up today and give me the weekend to play around.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

And therein Macca , me thinks lies your problem you are chasing a sound you remember . I am reminded of the following

When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Macca you can use the chord and I will take responsibility if anything goes wrong. You can tell if the amp is going unstable as there is a distortion envelope around notes, especially piano notes, and/or the amp gets hot and sounds crap.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Or hows about..........

"The wheels on the bus go round and round"

Pair o fn Ms.
i-liked-holding-hands-with-cats.jpg
i-liked-holding-hands-with-cats.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
:mrgreen: :guiness;

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Just my 2p worth, Macca ....

You may be expecting too much from an amp at the lower end of the NVA range.
RD was kind enough to loan me a series of amps from (perhaps) the 30 up to the A80 monos.
Good sound all along the range BUT there was a strong and definite hierarchy with distinct and worthwhile sonic improvements as you went further up the range. I bought the A80 monos, which were the top of the range back then.
Sorry to say it, really - but you get what you pay for with NVA!

I had the XTZ amp as well, and enjoyed it. But a VERY different sound to NVA.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)