Replacement cart for SME 3009 S2 Improved Fixed Headshell

All general audio posts go here.
tomblackford
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replacement cart for SME 3009 S2 Improved Fixed Headshell

Unread post by tomblackford »

So... as DJSR might remember, my (briefly) lovely sounding TD-150 / SME 3009 S2 Improved Fixed Headshell (inc fluid damper) / Denon DL-160 combination came to some accidental grief at the hands of first me, then my kids (it's not clear which did the worst damage!).

Despite Dave's very detailed and helpful advice, I was unable to resolve the issue, which (at least in-part) turns out to be some damage to the cart....it is apparently 'open circuit' on one channel with possible damage to suspension too (cantilever looks out of alignment).

So, looking on the bright side, we now have an interesting question of how to replace this... I've done a little digging online already (as many people are apparently looking for replacements for the discontinued DL-160 and/or carts for their 3002 S2 improved arms) but I thought I'd see what you folks thought too...

Some more thoughts to add to the mix:
  • Whilst I hadn't got a great deal to compare it to (it was always going to better a Debut III / OMB10), I thought the deck sounded pretty great and very natural with the DL-160 (and it worked beautifully with the Phono1). I did some like-for-likes with digital and whilst the deck had a bit more life, there was no obvious colouration (at least to my crap ears).
  • I guess that one potentially similar replacement might be a DL-110 (I hesitate to restart the recent <ahem> discussion about whether it was possible to tell the difference between the two), but I understand that this might not be an ideal match for this arm (as it's too light)
  • My Phono1 could be adapted to a lower output MC cart (DL-301?) if required, but perhaps the arm would be better suited to a good MM cart (I understand that's what it was really designed for)
  • I mainly listen to 70s / 80s (proggy) rock / fusion and folk on vinyl
Given that it genuinely was accidental damage, if it makes sense to do so, I might look at a home-insurance claim on the cart, so we probably can't go too wild (it would have to be a logical replacement for this to be acceptable I think).

Any (positive) suggestions or thoughts appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

tom

jammy395

Re: Replacement cart for SME 3009 S2 Improved Fixed Headshel

Unread post by jammy395 »

Goldring 1042 mm Tom.

Job done, enjoy. :guiness;

tomblackford

Thanks for quick reply Jammy. Some good props for the Goldring 1042 at http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/m ... 409/page-2

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If it were me and we listen to same vinyl , I would find a good second hand Moving coil with a .4mv output with a boron cantilever and be prepared to be happy . [benz , zyx , ]

but as always with these things we recommend what we have done .

tomblackford

Thanks Daniel... it's an interesting idea. I wonder how that would fly with an insurance claim though.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

tomblackford wrote:Thanks Daniel... it's an interesting idea. I wonder how that would fly with an insurance claim though.
Unfortunately you should ignore Daniel because the improved arm with fixed head shell is not suitable for MC. It's designed for high compliance MM such as the V15III . Why don't you seek out a used V15 (maybe a later version) or even M75/M95 series Shure and get a new Jico stylus for it. Would be a perfect match.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Shure M75ED, M55E, V15, all very similar. Find a cheap 2nd hand one on ebay and get a new stylus, Jelco replacements are good.

EDIT - I meant Jico :oops:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Classicrock wrote:
tomblackford wrote:Thanks Daniel... it's an interesting idea. I wonder how that would fly with an insurance claim though.
Unfortunately you should ignore Daniel because the improved arm with fixed head shell is not suitable for MC. It's designed for high compliance MM such as the V15III . Why don't you seek out a used V15 (maybe a later version) or even M75/M95 series Shure and get a new Jico stylus for it. Would be a perfect match.
high compliance ?

a goldring 1042 is 7.6g which is much the same as benz or zyx

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I always get confused about the different SME arms, but it is the knife edge bearing ones you have to watch with cart choice. The bearing chatters if too much energy / vibration is passed back to it. MC carts especially things like Denon 103 tend to fire back lots (relatively) of physical vibration.

tomblackford

Thanks all - yes, I think a 3009 S2 Improved is a knife-edge bearing... That's really good advice about the MC carts / vibration, and also interesting about the Shure carts... that's a whole avenue I hadn't explored, but I will do some research.